The Student Room Group

Universities with halls accommodation for second and third years

Preferably in the Midlands or North of England. Hi, I know it's a long shot but does anyone know of a list of universities where second and third years are allowed to stay in halls? Or, at least, it is easy to get private halls nearby? I have had a few suggested eg Hull, Lancaster but their websites don't seem to state this.
im pretty sure at newcastle and northumbria you can stay in halls for 2 years if that helps?
Reply 2
Original post by leonaslaughter
im pretty sure at newcastle and northumbria you can stay in halls for 2 years if that helps?

Thanks, I'll check it out. Newcastle was one I was looking at for the courses but I didn't know this.
Original post by emmaltunis
Preferably in the Midlands or North of England. Hi, I know it's a long shot but does anyone know of a list of universities where second and third years are allowed to stay in halls? Or, at least, it is easy to get private halls nearby? I have had a few suggested eg Hull, Lancaster but their websites don't seem to state this.

Hi @emmaltunis

Finding accommodation can be hard especially for second and third year students. I remember trying to find my third year accommodation, it was not easy. But you may find this link more useful where you will be able to find all the accommodation Northumbria has to offer students. As well as the contact details of the accommodation team if you have any further questions https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/accommodation/

Also there are other Private halls near Northumbria university for example, Albert place, Picton manor or Leazes parade and so on. Which I recommend looking into if you are unable to stay in the accommodation provided by the university in you second or third year which is where i am staying now.

I hope this has helped and good luck with finding your accommodation :smile:

Thanks
Jasmine
Northumbria University UG Rep

Hi emmaltunis,
Many universities may offer students the opportunity to stay in halls beyond first year but I would recommend looking at private student accommodation as well. Often these are located quite close to the university and have access to some great facilities in addition to all-inclusive bills. We actually recently wrote a blog about where to live in your second year, you can check it out here: https://bit.ly/3h78ozt

Hope this helps.

- Sophie

My daughter goes to Lancaster uni. First year she stayed in halls, second year landlord owned flat. third year private halls and fourth year student halls in the city.
Lancaster you can apply for halls on campus/halls in the city (called chancellors wharf) for years 2 and above, providing you do it early enough. cut off time is mid jan, and daughter applied around the 24th of November and just got chancellors wharf today.
Private halls theres plenty in the city. City is about 15 mins on a bus to campus and they run very often. Daughter is staying with Hello Student and they have 3 properties. Theres also Aparto, Damside, luneside, st leonards house as well as many others.

Hi there,
My understanding is that at Coventry you can apply to stay in halls for your second or third year. There are also plenty of private accommodation halls near by. You can find more details here: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/life-on-campus/accommodation/contact-us/

Hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Hi @emmaltunis

Studying fine art at Lancaster, a number of my friends have opted to live on campus (in halls) throughout their degree to be closer to the studios. From what I have heard of their experience, it is quite easy to get campus accommodation beyond first year provided you apply before the deadline. Generally most 2nd and 3rd years do choose to live in town, and there's no guarantee of campus accommodation beyond first year (if Lancaster is your firm), however I don't know anyone who's wanted it and not got it.

As others have mentioned, there are also plenty of options for private halls in Lancaster if you didn't want to live on campus but still wanted the halls feel rather than being in a house.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your uni choices,
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest