The Student Room Group

How math based is A Level Economics? Is Business A Level worth it?

Hi,

I am applying to sixth form, and I'm interested in studding Politics, History and Economics - but also considering Business A Level.

I'm not the best at Maths, and currently achieving a Grade 5 - but I am trying to achieve a Grade 6 by the end of Year 11. I was wondering how much of A Level Economics is math based and if anyone has any recommendations? I'm currently achieving a Grade 9 in Business, but not sure if I want to do it at A Level. I want to do the best A Levels possible in order to get into a good university.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do?
Reply 1
Original post by MasonBeirne
Hi,

I am applying to sixth form, and I'm interested in studding Politics, History and Economics - but also considering Business A Level.

I'm not the best at Maths, and currently achieving a Grade 5 - but I am trying to achieve a Grade 6 by the end of Year 11. I was wondering how much of A Level Economics is math based and if anyone has any recommendations? I'm currently achieving a Grade 9 in Business, but not sure if I want to do it at A Level. I want to do the best A Levels possible in order to get into a good university.

hi! i study economics at a level (i'm in year 13) and there are maths elements but i wouldn't say they are too complex: most of the maths is working out percentages, and it is a very essay-based subject

however, i would probably check what the sixth forms/colleges around you require you to have - for example, my sixth form wanted me to have a 7 in GCSE maths but i know this isn't the case everywhere
Hi,

Hi there. I was in a similar position as u are rn. I want to study Psychology at A level, but I was worried because I'm also not good at maths. However, I have decided to just go for it, and I think u should do the same with econ. I know a couple of people who took AL econ, and they said that even though the subject itself iis math-heavy, the math in econ AL is still very easy. You've even decided to take two of the best subjects to study alongside econ AL, so you'll be fine. As for business, you may want to check with the universities u wish to study at since some universities does not accept AL Business for their Undergrad Business courses.

Hope this helps. Sixth formers, pls feel free to correct me if I wrote smth wrong (:
(edited 1 year ago)
A-level Economics isn't enormously mathematical as I understand it - you need to be able to read graphs and do basic arithmetic and algebra but I think that's it. Note though degree level economics is much more mathematical throughout.

In your case swapping economics for business studies in your A-levels would be fine, provided you don't take both together (unis normally don't accept economics AND business studies due to overlapping content). If you are doing well in the GCSE and enjoy it then no reason not to take it to A-level :smile:
Hi,

It depends on where you are studying at. Some universities dont accept Economics and BTEC together and will class them as 1 A level meaning you would only have 2 A levels. For this reason avoid both together.

Nearly all leading universities will require Maths grade A at A level to study Economics and maybe business. If you are not good at Maths look at another option for a degree. Some will accept you without it but generally most RG universities insist on A level Maths because at degree level it is highly Mathematical.
Hi,

Heya!
I did economics a-level and absolutely loved it! There aren't any heavy maths in there, it's a very heavy essay-based subject where you need to do more writing and discussion than doing maths :h: However an actual economics degree would require maths a-level! I did GCSE in business and economics (and was also considering which one to do at a-levels) and I don't regret picking economics!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest