The Student Room Group

Distance Learning

Hi,

I have started an Access to HE English studies course with Stonebridge College. But I am stuck on Unit 5 assignment. I have to demonstrate an understanding of African American Vernacular English socioelect, additionally provide comparisons and contrast on 2 pieces of written and oral literature in relation to AAVE. Does anyone have any experience with AAVE?
Goodness me this is a tricky topic! The Colour Purple by Alice Walker is written in AAVE the way the character Celie talks. It's really hard to contrast this vernacular if I'm honest as it has multiple influences from phrases commonly found in the deep South, to religion, to words used in code by Slaves. You could compare it to BBE or (BME) minority ethnic english used in Britiain but it's not a fair comparison, they're really not the same. British vernacular is a mix of popular words, phrases, some from jamaican patois or caribbean and other dialects- but I can't think off the top of my head of any literature in that style.

I know I've heard AAVE style a lot in the States but I just don't think I've anything like it. Another good example is Malcom X's autobiography, he uses words like "Finna" (which is short form of "Fixing To"- Which itself means to do something but we in England don't use that as a phrase) or the phrase "Catching Hell" which means to get into trouble, but we would never allude to Hell as being something that can be caught. His speeches in general should give you a good idea.

Hope that helps somewhat
Original post by Nafeesa1897
Hi,

I have started an Access to HE English studies course with Stonebridge College. But I am stuck on Unit 5 assignment. I have to demonstrate an understanding of African American Vernacular English socioelect, additionally provide comparisons and contrast on 2 pieces of written and oral literature in relation to AAVE. Does anyone have any experience with AAVE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending