The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick classroom etiquette??

Hi,
So are there any enforced rules like no cellphones, laptops, sleeping, etc.?

And do many students tend to be outspoken in class (raising their hand a lot, arguing with the prof, etc.), or are the lectures mainly just the professor talking?

thanks!
Absolutely no masturbation unless you have gotten written permission from your lecturer before hand.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
lol
Reply 3
In lectures despite what the signs say you can eat and drink, text etc. The people with laptops just arent cool though...

And it's not cool to ask questions in lectures.
I've seen people eating bowls of noodles in my lectures
Reply 5
Cessie
In lectures despite what the signs say you can eat and drink, text etc. The people with laptops just arent cool though...

And it's not cool to ask questions in lectures.

Strange uni you go to... things that actually help (laptops and asking questions) are frowned upon, but things that will irritate and distract your classmates, while making it harder for yourself to concentrate (rustling sweetie wrappers, texting...) are OK :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I do Bio sciences and we are allowed to eat/drink/sleep during lectures but no talking.
theres nothing wrong with eating/drinking (as long as its done quietly) cos it keeps your glucose levels up so you can concentrate better.
we are actively encouraged to argue with our lecturers, sometimes they make mistakes - especially during long lectures so they ask we correct them, it also shows we pay attention.
It is uncool to ask questions but the profs woudl prefer we asked in a lecture cos then everyone gets to hear the answer at the same time so we dont all troop up to their offices during the week and they have to give the same answer 100 times
ooh also it tends to be the american/international school kids or the intercalated year ones who ask questions which noone else understands and usually are only relevant to a project that that individual did "this one time..."

I've been to some accy/fin lectures though and the majority of people just chat the whole way through. Thats just annoying and rude.
Reply 7
Why are your threads so lame? :p:

It's a university. And a red one at that. So do what you want within reason. I know I spend most of my lecture time messing around with my best mate. I'm sure that doesn't fit into the official rule system...but there we go.
Reply 8
Mobile phones should be on silent, the lecturer will usually get annoyed if they see you sleeping, laptops depend on your course (pointless for maths), eating and drinking is usually ok provided it's not distracting and is only for a short time. Asking questions depends - if you're in a lecture with 250 people and one person asks a question because they don't understand something or to make a silly comment then it's annoying but if the lectures are smaller or you're correcting an error then it's ok.
Reply 9
coffeym

It's a university. And a red one at that. So do what you want within reason. I know I spend most of my lecture time messing around with my best mate. I'm sure that doesn't fit into the official rule system...but there we go.

Shall I do this during your lecture on Wenesday? :p:

As the previous poster said, it's pretty lax. Questions, especially asking to clarify (or correct!) the lecturer are well received if correctly asked; but generally more poorly received if you're, say, telling the lecturer that they're wrong when they're clearly correct :p:

Food of any sort is generally fine. Even (possibly depending on the lecturer) alcohol, which I've not too uncommonly seen people get merry on at the back of the lecture.
Reply 10
SillyFencer
Strange uni you go to... things that actually help (laptops and asking questions) are frowned upon, but things that will irritate and distract your classmates, while making it harder for yourself to concentrate (rustling sweetie wrappers, texting...) are OK :s-smilie:

Asking questions doesn't help, it just interupts the lecturer. You don't need to ask questions, there are seminars for that if there's something you didn't understand. My lectures are only an hour long, they're for giving you information.

And mate, I don't get out a picnic hamper and start laying out a finger buffet... I just eat a cereal bar or something.

And personally, I find people typing away on laptops a lot more distracting that someone sending a text when there phones on silent.

:rolleyes:
Reply 11
Cessie
Asking questions doesn't help, it just interupts the lecturer. You don't need to ask questions, there are seminars for that if there's something you didn't understand. My lectures are only an hour long, they're for giving you information.
That's not the case in all lectures. I took a philosophy module last term, and half the lecture involved the students debating with the lecturer. So the lecturer would introduce some topic, and then we would discuss it in detail in the lecture, and the format worked well. Personally, I like lectures that are about understanding, not information. If I wanted information then I would just read a book!
Reply 12
Well I'm speaking about my own lectures (history).
coffeym

Amen.
I've had someone fall asleep during my class (I was a Maths Peer Tutor and we were asked to take the final class between the two of us for the lecturer), and I can tell you it really is off-putting and irritating :yep:. No-one says "there shall be NO SLEEPING in my lecture" but then who in their rightmind would think to request that? It's arrogant and rude.

Mobile phones should be okay. So long as it's on silent (a must), you're discreet about it and you don't bash the crap out of your keys.

Discussion with lecturers varies, I guess. If there's a mistake and you're sure of it, it should be perfectly fine. But then there's always the odd big-headed **** who decides he needs to disrupt a lecture because he can't be arsed to read up outside of the lecture, or because he has some weird idea in his head that he's better at the subject than a doctor or professor.
JohnnySPal
I've had someone fall asleep during my class (I was a Maths Peer Tutor and we were asked to take the final class between the two of us for the lecturer), and I can tell you it really is off-putting and irritating :yep:. No-one says "there shall be NO SLEEPING in my lecture" but then who in their rightmind would think to request that? It's arrogant and rude.

Mobile phones should be okay. So long as it's on silent (a must), you're discreet about it and you don't bash the crap out of your keys.

Discussion with lecturers varies, I guess. If there's a mistake and you're sure of it, it should be perfectly fine. But then there's always the odd big-headed **** who decides he needs to disrupt a lecture because he can't be arsed to read up outside of the lecture, or because he has some weird idea in his head that he's better at the subject than a doctor or professor.

One of the guys I live with said someone fell asleep during a supervision he was giving!
El Matematico
One of the guys I live with said someone fell asleep during a supervision he was giving!

HAHAHAHA legend! :p:

Seriously, how the hell do you do manage that!?
Reply 17
I agree with the sentiments espoused earlier, asking questions in a lecture is just stupid. Especially in crowded lectures like history and politics (my course), and one person interrupting it for the other 200 is not cool.

Me and my friend text each other in every single lecture making appalling innuendo related to both history and politics, as long as its on silent no one will care.

Although we did burst out laughing one time and distracted many people within our vicinity.
Reply 18
My tutor's room is really really warm: we all have much trouble trying to stay awake during the tutorials :s
Reply 19
Sometimes it's impossible to not fall asleep. When you are doing 8am-6pm days every day and living off 5 hours sleep due to housemates, and then get into an early lecture, sometimes you can just nod off. If you are blatently laying on the desk and snoring then that is a bit out of order, but if you nod off while sitting up, or rest your head in your hand on the desk, then no-one will know and you feel better after about 5 minutes.

Not that i ever do it......

Latest