The Student Room Group

has anyone else not applied yet ucas 2023

could spaces be taken already at this time for nursing? i know it’s the most popular course. i’m soo worried
Original post by jennnnnaaaa
could spaces be taken already at this time for nursing? i know it’s the most popular course. i’m soo worried

Everyone who applies before the 25 January deadline has to be given "equal consideration". That means that the unis are not allowed to offer places in a way which would cause "spaces be taken already".

An application submitted on 25 January will have the same chance of receiving an offer as one submitted two months ago. There is no need to worry.
Original post by DataVenia

An application submitted on 25 January will have the same chance of receiving an offer as one submitted two months ago. There is no need to worry.

really! last year of course i applied before deadline but bcu told me spaces were taken ?
really! last year of course i applied before deadline but bcu told me spaces were taken ?

Hmm. How very strange. Can you confirm a few things that may be relevant:

On what date did you apply last year?
For what course did you apply?
Are you an international candidate?

Other than gathering that additional information, I'm going to have to defer to the experts.

This page on the UCAS site clearly talks about 25 January 2023 as being "the equal consideration date" for "the majority of undergraduate courses", with the courses to which that date does not apply being "Applications for Oxford, Cambridge and most courses in medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine/science".

This PDF on the UCAS site clearly states the equal consideration deadline, "ensures no application received within that period will be rejected purely on the grounds it was received after others in that period". It further states that “Providers must consider all applications for each course on an equal basis if they are received on or before the relevant deadline (15 October, 15 January, and 24 March).” This document is from 2017, so those dates are slightly off; there may also well be a better source than this.

However, Birmingham City University state on this page for Nursing - Adults - BSc (Hons) that, "If our places for your chosen start date are full, successful applicants will be offered a place for the next available start date instead." and "Please note that applications are processed in the order in which they are submitted, so please apply early to ensure you have the best chance of securing your preferred start date if your application is successful."

I can only assume that there is some exception from the requirements of equal consideration for nursing courses. @Admit-One, @PQ: are you able to shed any light on this? Are Birmingham City University breaking the equal consideration rules?
Nursing is not my area of expertise I'm afraid so am not sure whether the consideration process is different, (IE. first come, first served).
It seems to be a policy specific to Birmingham City University. I've checked a few other unis.

Queens' University Belfast say here that, "All fully-completed applications submitted by the normal closing date of 25 January 2023 (18.00 hours) are given equal consideration."

University of South Wales say here that, "All applications received on or before 26th January are considered equally, however, due to the volume of applications received, and to ensure that all applications are given equal consideration, you may attend an interview in December or January but may not receive your decision until March."

Cardiff University say here that, "For both Autumn (all programmes) and the Spring (additional BN Adult and BN Mental Health only) intakes applicants must submit a fully completed application (including achieved and pending academic and English language qualifications) via UCAS by the advertised Equal Consideration Deadline in order to be guaranteed consideration." (Note that Cardiff don't actually say that they'll consider applications equally, but the fact that they use the phrase "Equal Consideration Deadline" certainly implies that they do.)

The University of Manchester say here to, "Please refer to the UCAS website for further information on key dates and the application process." This is on a Nursing-specific page, with no mention of the "apply early to avoid disappointment"-style approach of BCU.

Note that I found many other universities which said the same as the above generally, but these were the only ones which I found which make it clear for Nursing specifically. It seems clear, therefore, that Nursing is not exempt from the UCAS requirement for equal consideration. For the sake of my own curiosity, I've dropped them a quick e-mail asking whether or not "equal consideration" applies to their "Nursing - Adults - BSc (Hons)" degree.
Reply 6
Nursing requires interviews which normally start from December- so if you delay submitting you’ll miss the interviews. Nursing really ought to be treated like medical and dentistry courses - imo
hey thank you for searching this up and asking them! please let me know what they say. and to answer your questions, I applied for child nursing on December 10th 2021 through my sixth form. and when I found out I was rejected I called up and they told me spaces were full, could this happen to me again?
Reply 8
I applied first week of November- I have an interview on 14th December
Hmm. How very strange. Can you confirm a few things that may be relevant:

On what date did you apply last year?
For what course did you apply?
Are you an international candidate?

Other than gathering that additional information, I'm going to have to defer to the experts.

This page on the UCAS site clearly talks about 25 January 2023 as being "the equal consideration date" for "the majority of undergraduate courses", with the courses to which that date does not apply being "Applications for Oxford, Cambridge and most courses in medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine/science".

This PDF on the UCAS site clearly states the equal consideration deadline, "ensures no application received within that period will be rejected purely on the grounds it was received after others in that period". It further states that “Providers must consider all applications for each course on an equal basis if they are received on or before the relevant deadline (15 October, 15 January, and 24 March).” This document is from 2017, so those dates are slightly off; there may also well be a better source than this.

However, Birmingham City University state on this page for Nursing - Adults - BSc (Hons) that, "If our places for your chosen start date are full, successful applicants will be offered a place for the next available start date instead." and "Please note that applications are processed in the order in which they are submitted, so please apply early to ensure you have the best chance of securing your preferred start date if your application is successful."

I can only assume that there is some exception from the requirements of equal consideration for nursing courses. @Admit-One, @PQ: are you able to shed any light on this? Are Birmingham City University breaking the equal consideration rules?

There’s an exemption for January start courses. BCU has a January intake for Nursing and for that intake of the course the January deadline doesn’t apply.
The September intake for the course is subject to the rules around the equal consideration deadline.
Actually reading the rules.

The exemption for early start dates is from the rules on UCAS deadlines for applicants to reply to offers. The January deadline should still apply.

Any university rejecting on time applications with the message that the course is full should be reported to [email protected]
Everyone who applies before the 25 January deadline has to be given "equal consideration". That means that the unis are not allowed to offer places in a way which would cause "spaces be taken already".

An application submitted on 25 January will have the same chance of receiving an offer as one submitted two months ago. There is no need to worry.sks

Sjsjdjd
ahh nice where did u apply n get interviews for
Original post by PQ
Actually reading the rules.

The exemption for early start dates is from the rules on UCAS deadlines for applicants to reply to offers. The January deadline should still apply.

Any university rejecting on time applications with the message that the course is full should be reported to [email protected]

I've received a reply from BCU. Their argument is that "we would still consider your application for a Nursing course if you were to apply by the UCAS deadline" but that they "encourage applicants to apply early as if we did fill all places we would need to offer the next available intake rather than your preferred start intake."

Personally, that doesn't sound like "equal consideration" to me. I'll drop UCAS an e-mail later today, just so they're aware.

OP, when you were told this last year, were you told that your preferred intake was full and that your application would be considered for a later intake instead? Or was a later intake not even mentioned?
I've received a reply from BCU. Their argument is that "we would still consider your application for a Nursing course if you were to apply by the UCAS deadline" but that they "encourage applicants to apply early as if we did fill all places we would need to offer the next available intake rather than your preferred start intake."

Personally, that doesn't sound like "equal consideration" to me. I'll drop UCAS an e-mail later today, just so they're aware.

OP, when you were told this last year, were you told that your preferred intake was full and that your application would be considered for a later intake instead? Or was a later intake not even mentioned?

it wasn't mentionned
Original post by PQ

Done.

i haven’t even started my application yet either 😭 where are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest