The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

Hi there, I wanna to know whether getting a degree in biomediciene would be worth it or not? can I easily get a job for biomedical scientist in NHS or not ? Are they in demand ? Thank you.... just let me know please.
As someone who is training to be a BMS now and has a degree in it, what do you mean “Is it worth it?”?

May take a while to get a proper response as right now I’m at work (my job title is Associate Practitioner) because right now I am doing my IBMS Portfolio (a requirement to complete to legally become a Biomedical Scientist as having the knowledge and knowing the legal and ethical sides of things is a different story).

I will respond properly later but what exactly do you think it means to be a BMS and what do you think the job entails, do you also think you can walk straight into a BMS role once you have a degree (if this is the case, you are very much misinformed, sorry to say) as you need to do a few other things as well as perform in a lab before being a BMS at a lower grade (typically a MLA or an AP) to gain experience before taking on a role such as a BMS.
Reply 2
Hi thank you replying, yes I thought that I can get a job straight after getting a degree in biomedicine for biomedical scientist.
could you pls let me know what other things I have to do after getting a degree in this course for this profession. And how long it will took me. I know degree will take me upto 3 years.
Additionally My meaning of being worth it means would I find a job easily as there are many degrees , where employability rate is very low.
likewise you have also mentioned that I need to get some experience for this job role . where would I'll be getting this experience and for how long this experience needa to be ?
just let me know pls I really need this information. Thank you .......
Original post by Elina maxx
Hi thank you replying, yes I thought that I can get a job straight after getting a degree in biomedicine for biomedical scientist.
could you pls let me know what other things I have to do after getting a degree in this course for this profession. And how long it will took me. I know degree will take me upto 3 years.
Additionally My meaning of being worth it means would I find a job easily as there are many degrees , where employability rate is very low.
likewise you have also mentioned that I need to get some experience for this job role . where would I'll be getting this experience and for how long this experience needa to be ?
just let me know pls I really need this information. Thank you .......

Ok, a quick breakdown.

1. If you want to do Biomedical Science and do it in a hospital, DO AN IBMS ACCREDITED DEGREE - Do not go to Russel Group unis as they are USELESS for this subject! They focus primarily on research whereas non-accredited degrees focus on patient diagnosis.

2. Try hard in your degree, we lost a third of the course in our second year (at UWE) as one module was an absolute monster of an exam (Cellular Biology and Genetics).

3. Once you have a degree, get a job as an MLA or as an AP in a hospital which can offer you your IBMS portfolio. Yes you will have to start at the bottom of the payscale but, tbh, it will provide you with VERY valuable life skills and experience for working in a hospital without the responsibilities as well as watching others do it. The IBMS portfolio can typically take around a year to complete if you go in all guns blazing and if you don't have any commitments (such as a partner and/or kids), it can be done quicker as there are fewer distractions. Personally though I see it as a waste of time but it has to be done legally if you want the title "BMS".

4. During your first job, you will have to deal with some VERY messy and smelly samples. Just yesterday I was clearing the freezer of primary calprotectin samples looking to see any results which weren't released to patients (and throwing away samples which had been released) and came across two which weren't registered on the system. Calprotectin is used primarily in the diagnosis to help distinguish between IBS and IBD (yes, you guessed it, I went through thousands of poo samples, just do it quick before they defrost and you can smell it). Don't get me wrong, most of it doesn't smell where I deal with CSF, blood, urine (tbh, I think this is worse than poo as you get some really bad ones), xanthochromia, faeces and other types of samples.

5. You will also, very importantly need to learn how to deal with different types of waste. Such waste includes domestic (basic waste you sort at home), recycling, confidential waste (patient details), clinical waste (patient samples) and offensive waste (basically reagents and potentially contaminated samples).

6. You have to deal with a VERY critical sample at times and will sometimes, more often than not have half an hour, if not less to receive, process and run a sample. The other month, we received a CSF and a xanthochromia sample from someone who had been involved in a motorbike accident and results had to be released quickly as these types of samples can not be reobtained and need to be released quickly as these are only obtainable during surgery. You will also need to learn what to do should the analysers be down and how to handle these samples properly, for example, ammonia if it can't be analysed due to daily machine maintenance must be frozen to prevent it evaporating but CSF must be kept in the fridge and if you freeze it, you damage the proteins within it you will be looking for. So, please don't mess it up...

7. Is it satisfying for me BUT you have a lot of scenarios where problems occur and we have ED nurses shouting down the phone at us asking where are samples and why haven't they got results yet. Sometimes we don't get results out on time like last Thursday as we had a trust wide issue where the system went down and we had to manually, one by one go through all samples presented to us, typically the system would release results automatically unless they were a bit wonky, meaning they need to be looked at by a BMS for authorisation. So, we had to manually look at the samples and pull out all the ED, ICU and AAU samples to be looked at on the system by the BMS to be looked at one by one and released manually until the system was back up and running. This was because we had to prioritise these types of samples over non-urgent and "other urgent" samples.

8. There is also a lot of machine maintenance on the BMS part as it is their job to ensure reagents are kept up to date and to clean the machines when the APs aren't around to help sort samples. So, not only are you a scientist but also a engineer/mechanic too. =l
Reply 4
Hey thank you for replying, you said you have seen thousands of poo sample if this is case I don't think so I'm able to work in hospitals. Recently I wanna to do cardiac physiology and somebody who was working as cardiac physiologist mentioned that they also sometimes help people with bad gall bladder condition if that makes sense.. Im really worried bout my future now coz I wanna work somewhere in medical line but at the same time I dont wanna work with somebody poo... Do you any job in hospital doesnt required working with poo..
Is there an issue with handling faecal samples with yourself? You sometimes see some really interesting ones, saw one the other day which was the same colour and consistency of mint sauce. XD

Have heard rumours of orange ones from my colleagues but I think they’re lying to me.

You could work in haematology or transfusions if you really want to in Biomedical Science but chemistry is my preference. 🙂

Will answer properly on this thread sometime over the weekend I expect as I’ve been a bit busy today and I’m really tired… sorry!
Reply 6
Do you think If I work in haematology Im still goanna be seeing poo samples ??
Reply 7
Hey , could you pls ask somebody who works in haematology whether they work with poo samples or not ? I really need this info 😭 ... I'm at last year of my a levels nd have to apply for a course at the end of December.
In short, it appears science stinks as whilst I don’t work in haematology, I’ve never seen a faecal calprotectin sample enter the haematology lab myself, however it appears others have and it makes sense whilst looking for RBCs in stool samples.

In short, this is how the process is done;

1. The MLA (this will LIKELY be your first job if you want to be a BMS) will receive samples of farces, they will come in small tubs or tubes, most likely tubes but I’ve seen some tubs.

You will then have to open the tube in a Microbiological cabinet which is essentially something which is designed to prevent pathogens leaving (and also smell). You will then receive a tube, personally we use Calex tubes which requires you to take the white stick, put the stick into the sample and twist it to get an adequate sample for analysis. The tube initially has a liquid in which, for al intensive purposes is nothing more than a cleaning solution designed to dissolve the faeces in for analysis.

3. You then seal the sample before placing the patient info on it.

4. The sample is then run in the machines and analysed and allows for the patient to receive the information if they an increased chance of irritable bowl disease (IBD) or irritable bowl syndrome (IBS).

So, if it’s the smell you’re worried about, I wouldn’t worry about it as you don’t smell anything. I am wondering though, as you know BMS jobs are designed to run human samples, why you thought this didn’t extend to urine and faeces?

NGL, I prefer running faeces to urine as the smell doesn’t apply to faeces but with urine, there is no barrier and some of them can be bad… 😭

So, in short can I ask, do you have a medical issue which refrains you from handling human waste or is it you just don’t like the idea?

In short, sometimes science stinks.
Reply 9
I'm genuinely being honest. I would'nt say its a medical issue but if I have a something like this at front of me of another person then I could not control myself and I will vomit immediately Coz this is something not in my control. and for sure it will create a problem for me in a job coz nobody wants a employer like this and I don't want them to fire me. If that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest