This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Well basically, my first choice Uni gave me lowest grade requirements than all other ones. So is it worth putting one with higher grade requirements as an insurance? I was told that if you put a Uni down for insurance and you miss the grades for both choices, they might still give you a place!
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If i was you i would.

If you drop a grade and miss out on your firm choice but your insurance choice has places you may get a place there, you will have more chance going there with them as insurance rather than going via clearing.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can put any offer down as your insurance (unless you've put an unconditional offer as your firm choice). Its worth having an insurance, even if its a higher offer - you may change your mind between now and August, so at least you'll have 2 options .
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You got LSE!!!! well done mate! what was the offer?
:beer:

might as well put down 2nd choice, no harm done.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chicken)
You can put any offer down as your insurance (unless you've put an unconditional offer as your firm choice). Its worth having an insurance, even if its a higher offer - you may change your mind between now and August, so at least you'll have 2 options .
But even if I change my mind, I will still have to go to my first choice Uni right?
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
But even if I change my mind, I will still have to go to my first choice Uni right?
unless you agree with them to release you from the offer, in that case you could go to second choice
TheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by chats)
You got LSE!!!! well done mate! what was the offer?
:beer:

might as well put down 2nd choice, no harm done.
yea thanx! it's ABB. If I now have to choose an insurance, logically I would choose one that is more likely to accept me even if I miss the grades, but there's no way I can research into this. I guess I'll just choose a random one. Thanx everyone.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ask the uni how many offers they gave out, some unis will tell you
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's optional to choose an insurance. If I were you, I would choose one incase you don't meet the requirements.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Nope, you can ring the uni when you get your results and ask them to reject you. I'm pretty sure of this, and they should just release you from your offer, which means you'll be eligible for your insurance choice if you have the grades (I think! PQ knows more).
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I think it's optional to choose an insurance. If I were you, I would choose one incase you don't meet the requirements.
If you read the first line of the first post, he says his firm offer is his lowest offer, therefore all his other offers (from which he has to pick an insurance) are higher.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok then, sry for misreading it. I guess you can have no insurance then.
cktlee1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey, thewolf, I am just wondering...what IF:
1) we decline other offers now directly...
2) write letters to another Uni whos requirement are lower?

what would be the possibility of the "extra" uni giving us an offer so that we can use it as an insurance?

If that is allowed, I might choose a straight maths or straight economics somewhere...

Dunno~
TheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by cktlee1)
hey, thewolf, I am just wondering...what IF:
1) we decline other offers now directly...
2) write letters to another Uni whos requirement are lower?

what would be the possibility of the "extra" uni giving us an offer so that we can use it as an insurance?

If that is allowed, I might choose a straight maths or straight economics somewhere...

Dunno~
Im pretty sure that you can't apply to a Uni without going through UCAS!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my first choice uni was my lowest offer... so i didn't have an insurance (and decided that if i missed those grades i'd be resitting my a-levels)... i don't reckon it's worth putting an insurance that's higher than your original offer, there's always clearing if things go wrong (and if you get say BBB, it's highly unlikely a course wanting AAB would take you and one wanting ABB wouldn't)

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (11)
22%
No (39)
78%

Watched Threads