The Student Room Group

University choices

I just wanted some advice. I’m currently in sixth form and would like to do a degree in Econ to hopefully break into IB. My gcse grades are not good enough to get into target universities however I have a good chance of getting into other universities that are not as prestigious.
After the obvious Oxbridge, LSE, UCL ie target universities. What are my 5 best options?
Southhampton
Original post by unpredictable546
I just wanted some advice. I’m currently in sixth form and would like to do a degree in Econ to hopefully break into IB. My gcse grades are not good enough to get into target universities however I have a good chance of getting into other universities that are not as prestigious.
After the obvious Oxbridge, LSE, UCL ie target universities. What are my 5 best options?

Hi,
When looking into universities, look at the entry requirements for ones that align with your predicted grades. As far as GCSE grades go, Universities will mainly be interested in your English and Math marks. University of Kent for example, ask that you do have a 6/B in Math to apply for Economics. You may also want to look at the campus sites and the modules/ facilities offered as universities offer different approaches to the course and some may suit you more than others. Kent also offer a year abroad or a year in the industry, which is another aspect to consider, this can open your job prospects and your experience in the field which can be very appealing for your later career. If you would like to have a look at the Economics course at Kent you can visit
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2020/109/economics
I also encourage that you look into open days for universities to ask students and the lecturers any questions you may have
hope this helps :smile:
- Malek
University of Kent Rep
A level subjects and predicted grades?
What are your GCSE grades and A-level predicted grades? They may be decent enough to consider having 1 or 2 of those 'target universities' as aspirational choices.
Original post by Labradoodle1
What are your GCSE grades and A-level predicted grades? They may be decent enough to consider having 1 or 2 of those 'target universities' as aspirational choices.

My GCSEs are 8,7,7,7,6,6,5,5,5,4,3 with a 7 in English and a 6 in Maths.
Im predicted A*A*A*A with and A* in maths and an A in Further Maths
i also have 4 As achieved at AS

If you go to a state school, have 6 or higher in English and Math, have a good personal statement that highlights your individuality and flair and get AAA+ predicted, there is honestly no reason to not get at least an interview in those 'obvious target' unis (even Oxbridge- most likely Cambridge though). I got pretty mediocre GCSEs (nearly all 6s) and thought Russel Groups would be a struggle to get into, but I was def wrong lol. Don't comfort yourself with this though, you need to make up for it much more as Economics is rather competitive, I've seen students with A*A*A get rejected rather often. The things I listed above will makeup for it enough to secure a fair chance. Don't settle for the back-up plan and leave your potential unfulfilled.
(edited 1 year ago)
My GCSEs are 8,7,7,7,6,6,5,5,5,4,3 with a 7 in English and a 6 in Maths.
Im predicted A*A*A*A with and A* in maths and an A in Further Maths
i also have 4 As achieved at AS

You could consider an aspirational choice with those grades, there's very little risk as you still have 4 other choices.

Quick Reply

Latest