The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

GCSE requirements for uni

For GCSE's I got 9 8/9s (equivalent to A*) however I got a 5 in Spanish (equivalent to a C) so I was wondering if this would count against me when applying for unis? I know most only consider 8/9 GCSEs as not everyone does 10 depending on your school, but would top universities take my top subjects or would they choose to look at something like Spanish over Drama as its perceived as "better" and part of the English Bacc? I tried to look into the specific entry requirements onto some of the unis I would like to apply to (mainly Edinburgh) but it doesn't give that level of detail. So, should I contact the admissions department for unis such as Edinburgh to ask or would it be okay?
Most universities only look for you to meet the GCSE requirements. A lower grade in a subject not related to what you are intending will have no effect on your application.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
With 9 x 8/9's you will be absolutely fine.
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities only look for you to meet the GCSE requirements. A lower grade in a subject not related to what you are intending will have no effect on your application.

Original post by Admit-One
With 9 x 8/9's you will be absolutely fine.

Okay, thank you!
Original post by Caitlinnn.
For GCSE's I got 9 8/9s (equivalent to A*) however I got a 5 in Spanish (equivalent to a C) so I was wondering if this would count against me when applying for unis? I know most only consider 8/9 GCSEs as not everyone does 10 depending on your school, but would top universities take my top subjects or would they choose to look at something like Spanish over Drama as its perceived as "better" and part of the English Bacc? I tried to look into the specific entry requirements onto some of the unis I would like to apply to (mainly Edinburgh) but it doesn't give that level of detail. So, should I contact the admissions department for unis such as Edinburgh to ask or would it be okay?

No uni will care that you got one grade 5 in Spanish alongside nine 8/9 grades for other subjects unless you are applying for Spanish, which seems doubtful!
They genuinely won't care dw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending