The Student Room Group

Transferring into 2nd year

I’m highly considering to transfer to another university in my 2nd year of uni.
I was wondering just in case I don’t manage to get a 2:1 at the end of the year, can I apply to go into 2nd year at another uni through clearing?
Original post by Carlab
I was wondering just in case I don’t manage to get a 2:1 at the end of the year, can I apply to go into 2nd year at another uni through clearing?

Clearing is for filling spaces in the incoming year 1 cohort. Transfers can take a bit of time to review and they will probably not want to do so during that busy period. (You'd be better off holding an offer from the main cycle and then being considered as a 'near miss' to whatever conditions you get.) There's a one in a million chance they might want to consider you from scratch for year 2 entry during clearing, but if you underperform in your year 1 elsewhere, it's very unlikely.

In the meantime, I would familiarise yourself with the Transfer FAQ.
Be aware that because of unflated grades over the last few years, many Unis are over-full and have no space for mid-degree transfers,
And, many will still require the same A level grades as for first year entry.
Original post by Carlab

Hi @Carlab,

The grades you need to transfer universities often depends on what the university you're looking at moving to will ask for - I'd recommend emailing around a few universities you're interested in to get a general idea as to what kind of grades you might need. Some universities will accept direct applications via Clearing into their second years, however this is likely to differ from course to course and university to university, as some programmes won't be able to accept transfers due to capacity limits (e.g. some health courses will only be able to take on a certain number of students due to placements, teaching space etc). There's no harm in asking universities what their policies are on transfers - they're more than happy to be asked!

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending