The Student Room Group

A level Biology help!!

Could someone please clarify if this is what happens in an electron transport chain (ETC) or if it is the chemiosmotic theory? or does the ETC occur during chemiosmosis?? Arghhhh
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk131
Could someone please clarify if this is what happens in an electron transport chain (ETC) or if it is the chemiosmotic theory? or does the ETC occur during chemiosmosis?? Arghhhh

Hey,

You're right about both of these! The chemiosmotic theory/chemiosmosis is a part of what happens in the ETC. Chemiosmosis is described as:

'the movement of ions across a semipermeable membrane bound structure, down their electrochemical gradient.'

An important example is the formation of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) by the movement of hydrogen ions (H+) across a membrane during cellular respiration or photosynthesis. This can be seen at the end of the ETC in the diagram you have shown, where the chemiosmotic gradient (the difference in H+ concentration between the intermembrane space and matrix) drives the ATP synthase to catalyse the formation of ATP.

Your diagram shows the electron transport chain and the effect of chemiosmosis to form ATP :smile::yy:

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask any questions if needed!
Reply 2
Original post by juniper_542
Hey,

You're right about both of these! The chemiosmotic theory/chemiosmosis is a part of what happens in the ETC. Chemiosmosis is described as:

'the movement of ions across a semipermeable membrane bound structure, down their electrochemical gradient.'

An important example is the formation of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) by the movement of hydrogen ions (H+) across a membrane during cellular respiration or photosynthesis. This can be seen at the end of the ETC in the diagram you have shown, where the chemiosmotic gradient (the difference in H+ concentration between the intermembrane space and matrix) drives the ATP synthase to catalyse the formation of ATP.

Your diagram shows the electron transport chain and the effect of chemiosmosis to form ATP :smile::yy:

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask any questions if needed!

Thank you so much for your explanation I understand now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending