The Student Room Group

Advice needed for app lead for plagiarism

Hi

I am a third year nursing student who has almost qualified.

I submitted my last attempt of an essay and passed it a week later my essay was being investigated for plagiarism.

This was group work module and there were similarities between my essay and a group members.

At the time I was going through a lot of personal stuff such as being diagnosed with a medical condition.

After the plagiarism meeting the decision was made.

The sanctions were : zero mark and resubmit if I have not exhausted all attempt in which this is my last attempt.

I wanted to appeal this sanction as this was an first offence of minor plagiarism I am at the end of my degree I have passed every module and placement besides this.

I want to put an appeal on the grounds of it being a harsh sanction as I was going through a lot medically and wanted to seek advice on how to make my appeal stronger so that I could either be granted a possible another attempt ?

Or even if my mark could be capped at the minimum level to pass. I am desperate at this point as I want to get my degree. I already have my job and am already working there just waiting on my pin.

All the advice would be appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I am a third year nursing student who has almost qualified.

I submitted my last attempt of an essay and passed it a week later my essay was being investigated for plagiarism.

This was group work module and there were similarities between my essay and a group members.

At the time I was going through a lot of personal stuff such as being diagnosed with a medical condition.

After the plagiarism meeting the decision was made.

The sanctions were : zero mark and resubmit if I have not exhausted all attempt in which this is my last attempt.

I wanted to appeal this sanction as this was an first offence of minor plagiarism I am at the end of my degree I have passed every module and placement besides this.

I want to put an appeal on the grounds of it being a harsh sanction as I was going through a lot medically and wanted to seek advice on how to make my appeal stronger so that I could either be granted a possible another attempt ?

Or even if my mark could be capped at the minimum level to pass. I am desperate at this point as I want to get my degree. I already have my job and am already working there just waiting on my pin.

All the advice would be appreciated

Hi there,

This typically differs greatly between different Universities depending on their specific policy - I would advice you to speak to your Student Support Team at the University as they will be able to give you more specific advice regarding this issue. Often if the plagism offence is minor then you can still pass the module, capped at 40%, or perhaps have to resit, again capped at 40%.

I hope this helps :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 2
You're a third year and so there is no quarter for plagiarism offences, nor is there usually much a mit circs claim can do in such circumstances. You should try anyway but there is not much to add to make a claim stronger - you are in a weak position.

If you have a zero mark usually that will stand and the resubmission will give you the credits to pass the unit but will not give you an actual grade. Does it make a real difference to you if you just resubmit?
Hi guys

I was submitting my third attempt at an essay and I passed my essay and then a week later was being investigated for plagiarism.

I wanted to know if I could get some advice on strengthening an appeal on the grounds of the sanction being harsh.

Rather than this being deliberate plagiarism it was actually poor academic writing.

My sanctions were zero mark for my essay and resubmission of the essay however I have exhausted all my attempts. I had a lot of personal issues during writing the essay (being diagnosed with a medical condition).

The assessor stated using the use of extension and mit forms. However the very first time I was submitting my essay the girls in my group stated to get extensions as we were struggling to find the articles to write our individual essay. I gave the same reason as then however they were granted Extentsion besides me as my reasoning was not valid after this I felt the support from university was very poor and did not consider to make any extensions or mit after this incident.

I also felt that during the plagiarism meeting the plagiarism assessor was quite patronising when I was given my explanation her responses to every thing were “sure” and then gave this very sarcastic look each time I would say something.

I am in desperate need for some advice as I have never had a minor plagiarism throughout my academic years. I am a third year nursing student this is my very last essay. I have passed every other module and placement besides this. I have already started my post and was waiting for my pin.

All the advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I was submitting my third attempt at an essay and I passed my essay and then a week later was being investigated for plagiarism.

I wanted to know if I could get some advice on strengthening an appeal on the grounds of the sanction being harsh.

Rather than this being deliberate plagiarism it was actually poor academic writing.

My sanctions were zero mark for my essay and resubmission of the essay however I have exhausted all my attempts. I had a lot of personal issues during writing the essay (being diagnosed with a medical condition).

The assessor stated using the use of extension and mit forms. However the very first time I was submitting my essay the girls in my group stated to get extensions as we were struggling to find the articles to write our individual essay. I gave the same reason as then however they were granted Extentsion besides me as my reasoning was not valid after this I felt the support from university was very poor and did not consider to make any extensions or mit after this incident.

I also felt that during the plagiarism meeting the plagiarism assessor was quite patronising when I was given my explanation her responses to every thing were “sure” and then gave this very sarcastic look each time I would say something.

I am in desperate need for some advice as I have never had a minor plagiarism throughout my academic years. I am a third year nursing student this is my very last essay. I have passed every other module and placement besides this. I have already started my post and was waiting for my pin.

All the advice would be appreciated.

You say that, "Rather than this being deliberate plagiarism it was actually poor academic writing." Does this mean you included other peoples work but didn't reference it? So the university think you were trying to pass-off other people's work as your own, whilst you think it was merely a matter of missed references? (I'm going to proceed on the assumption that this is the case - correct me if I'm wrong.)

Are the personal issues, medical condition, and unsuccessful request for an extension relevant here? Are you claiming that for forgot to include references because of the medical condition? Or that you didn't have time to include the references due to a lack of the deadline extension? (Forgive me if it's obvious to you - I'm just struggling to relate these comments to the finding of plagiarism.)

Have you checked your university's formal policy on plagiarism to understand the range of sanctions which are available to them, and the criteria they use to establish which sanction is appropriate? If not, I'd suggest you do that.

Have you spoken to your Student Union about the issue? They will likely have access to people well-versed with your universities policies and procedures, and will probably be in a better position to help you than anyone else.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
You say that, "Rather than this being deliberate plagiarism it was actually poor academic writing." Does this mean you included other peoples work but didn't reference it? So the university think you were trying to pass-off other people's work as your own, whilst you think it was merely a matter of missed references? (I'm going to proceed on the assumption that this is the case - correct me if I'm wrong.)

Are the personal issues, medical condition, and unsuccessful request for an extension relevant here? Are you claiming that for forgot to include references because of the medical condition? Or that you didn't have time to include the references due to a lack of the deadline extension? (Forgive me if it's obvious to you - I'm just struggling to relate these comments to the finding of plagiarism.)

Have you checked your university's formal policy on plagiarism to understand the range of sanctions which are available to them, and the criteria they use to establish which sanction is appropriate? If not, I'd suggest you do that.

Have you spoken to your Student Union about the issue? They will likely have access to people well-versed with your universities policies and procedures, and will probably be in a better position to help you than anyone else.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7289557
I think this other post will make things a bit clearer.
Original post by Euapp
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7289557
I think this other post will make things a bit clearer.

Thank you. I've merged the threads so that all the replies are now in one place. Do let me know if you come across any further duplicates of this same question.

@OP: Please note the Community Guidelines, here, which include: "Please don’t post the same thing several times, either within a single or multiple threads."

Quick Reply

Latest