quick jordan normal form Watch

Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
the JNF of a 3x3 matrix can be deduced from its characteristic and minimal polynomials. give an example to show this is not the case for 4x4 matrices.

---

i haven't been to any lectures on this, so forgive my stupidity. But isn't it the case that if the CP is (t-a)^A(t-b)^B, and the MP is (t-a)^A'(t-b)^B', then the JNF has A a's, B b's etc. along the diagonal, then A-A'-1 1s in the superdiagonal of the jordan block for a? so we've found the JNF.

confused.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure I can be bothered to do the matrix multiplication, but what about something like \begin{pmatrix} 4&1&0&0 \\ 0&4&1&0 \\ 0&0&4&0 \\ 0&0&0&4 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix} 4&1&0&0 \\ 0&4&0&0 \\ 0&0&4&1 \\ 0&0&0&4 \end{pmatrix}? They look like they'd have the same polynomials, and yet clearly the first one has one Jordan block of size 3 and one of size 1, and the second has two of size 2.

Edit: wait, they don't have the same minimal polynomial. Oops. But I think that's the point - JNF is unique up to reordering of the blocks (as he defined them), not just up to random scattering of 1s and 0s.
Kolya
Report 10 years ago
An example is A = \begin{pmatrix} -2&0&0&0 \\ 0&-2&1&0 \\ 0&0&-2&0 \\ 1 & 0 & -2 & -2 \end{pmatrix}. In this case, I believe that there are two possible JNFs, and you need to use other considerations beyond characteristic/minimal polynomials in order to calculate which one is the JNF. (At least, that is what my notes say.)
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
I'm not sure I can be bothered to do the matrix multiplication, but what about something like \begin{pmatrix} 4&1&0&0 \\ 0&4&1&0 \\ 0&0&4&0 \\ 0&0&0&4 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix} 4&1&0&0 \\ 0&4&0&0 \\ 0&0&4&1 \\ 0&0&0&4 \end{pmatrix}? They look like they'd have the same polynomials, and yet clearly the first one has one Jordan block of size 3 and one of size 1, and the second has two of size 2.

Edit: wait, they don't have the same minimal polynomial. Oops. But I think that's the point - JNF is unique up to reordering of the blocks (as he defined them), not just up to random scattering of 1s and 0s.
the second one is a jordan normal form?? oh.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chewwy)
the second one is a jordan normal form?? oh.
Isn't it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (40)
28.17%
No - I got the required grades (84)
59.15%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads