The Student Room Group

A level chem bonding

How would you show the 1s2, 2s2, 2p6 etc arrangement around an atom in a diagram to understand where the electrons are placed? Also how are lone pair of electrons closer to the nucleaus when the bonding pair and lone pair are in the same shell. Where am i wrong?

I understand Hybridisation
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tanyme
How would you show the 1s2, 2s2, 2p6 etc arrangement around an atom in a diagram to understand where the electrons are placed? Also how are lone pair of electrons closer to the nucleaus when the bonding pair and lone pair are in the same shell. Where am i wrong?

I understand Hybridisation

Hi,

The electron arrangement you have represented in your question (1s2, 2s2, 2p6) is Neon, this is because the 1s represents the first shell and the 2s and 2p the second shell, you add the numbers together for each shell to find the electrons. This goes the same for other arrangements, for example; Sulfur has 16 electrons, so this would be shown as 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p4. The diagram for this is shown below:

Attachment not found

For your other question, a bonding pair consists of two electrons shared between atoms, creating a bond. A lone pair of an atom consists of two electrons not involved in a bond. When in the same shell, a lone pair of electrons will be closer to the nucleus. This is because there is no external electrostatic attraction between the electrons of the main atom and another source. E.g. below is the compound ammonia. In this instance, the bonded pairs of electrons will have attraction to the positively charged protons present in each of the hydrogen atoms. This means they will be 'further away' from the nucleus of nitrogen but therefore closer to the nucleus of each of the hydrogens. However, the lone pair of electrons shown in the diagram are not bonded to another atom, and so they will have no electrostatic attraction interfering with them. This means they will be closer to the nucleus of nitrogen compared with the bonded pairs.

Attachment not found

I hope this makes sense! I'm sorry if I have got this incorrect as I am not an expert in this but I did do A Level chemistry, feel free to ask any questions about this and good luck! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest