This discussion is closed.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I have this weekend to write an essay about the lang/lit devices used in any extract from Remains of the Day? It has to be around 1000-1200 words long and I am working both Sat and Sun. Can anyone recommend a good extract to do an good essay very quicky?
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
woo the remains of the day! Haven't read the book but the film is so fab. Sorry, not very helpful i know...
piemonster411
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
yeah i doing that book.
Very near the end the passage that goes somein like
"i was sitting on bench and i never made my own mistakes and what dignity is there in that"
you'll know it when u read it

basically this passage contains central themes and stuff but not sure about closer analysis
gringalet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I love this book! I'm comparing it with 'The Go-Between' for coursework...God, it's just so great!

I think you could look at nearly any extract and find something. You could look at Stevens' use of 'I' and 'one'; how he speaks to others, particularly when he speaks to his father in the third person; his over-the-toply-English English, and how Stevens uses it to detract meaning, and Ishiguro uses it to add meaning – it also obviously links in with the ideas of England as superior, and thus colonialism; his formal, out-dated language in general.

Just open the book randomly and really scour whatever you find, and I'm sure it'll be great!
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
(Original post by gringalet)
I love this book! I'm comparing it with 'The Go-Between' for coursework...God, it's just so great!

I think you could look at nearly any extract and find something. You could look at Stevens' use of 'I' and 'one'; how he speaks to others, particularly when he speaks to his father in the third person; his over-the-toply-English English, and how Stevens uses it to detract meaning, and Ishiguro uses it to add meaning – it also obviously links in with the ideas of England as superior, and thus colonialism; his formal, out-dated language in general.

Just open the book randomly and really scour whatever you find, and I'm sure it'll be great!
Thanks guys!

....yeah the film is good except where the father spoils it by saying the stuff about Steven's mother and when he calls him James.
posh_git
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol i love remains of the day....miss kenton! yay! lol

do the dismissal of jewish girls cos u can write loads about that....miss K standing up for her own rights, threatening to leave, VS. stevens, taking orders and even thought he know's it's not right, he still carries out the dismissal, simply thnking that what lord darlington ses must be right. then you can branch out to say he still does not realise that he has done wrong even to the end of the novel.

then you could write about anti-semetism

how the episode has affected their relationship

lol i hated that book.......now I LOVE IT!!!!!
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
(Original post by posh_git)
lol i love remains of the day....miss kenton! yay! lol

do the dismissal of jewish girls cos u can write loads about that....miss K standing up for her own rights, threatening to leave, VS. stevens, taking orders and even thought he know's it's not right, he still carries out the dismissal, simply thnking that what lord darlington ses must be right. then you can branch out to say he still does not realise that he has done wrong even to the end of the novel.

then you could write about anti-semetism

how the episode has affected their relationship

lol i hated that book.......now I LOVE IT!!!!!
Thanks for the suggestion!!

I was so occupied with the french essay I had to do this weekend that I have only just begun my essay...lol the teacher is a pushover so I might be be able to manage to get an extra day.

I came home earlier from work today too just so I could do the essay...I should still be there but as most of the showings except the really really late ones of Meet the Fockers had sold out most people were walking in seeing it was sold out and walking straight back out again....there was no problem in the management having 4 cashiers on because there was no-one to serve!

Question - I know the whole lit side of that essay would be easy but what about lang devices?
Question 2 - give me a title!
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
hello???
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Umm, well I gave you a load of language stuff that [obviously] links in with the literature side of it. As it were, since it's all lit.

AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
I have actually started this essay...when I came back from seeing my film I had a nap and when I woke up I felt in a really good homework mood...

I am going to attempt the question

During the incident with the Jewish Maids, how does Kazuo Ishiguro display the loyalty of Stevens to Lord Darlington and the differences of Stevens and Miss Kenton.

I have start analysising the extact but I am finding it hard to explain my notes or come up with conculstions.

(Original post by remains of the day Kazuo Ishiguro)
For instance, I recall overhearing at dinner one evening, when a particular newspaper had been mentioned, his lordship remarking: "oh, you mean that Jewish propaganda sheet."
I have remember these remarks because they truly surprised me at the time, his lordship never previsously having shown any antagonism whatsoever towards the Jewish race.
I got that this shows Lord Darlington in a postive light because he doesn't have anything againist Jews but it is because he is put under pressure by the blackshirts that his opinions change.

"I've been doing a great deal of thinking, Stevens. A great deal of thinking...."
For the repeatition, I was unsure whether it could mean his is trying to pursude himself it is "right" or emphsis that he has done a lot of thinking so Stevens doesn't question him.

(Original post by remains of the day)
"Ah." His lordship paused for a moment, staring out of his window. "of course, you'll have to let them go"
Is there some hiding importance of looking out the windows in this novel....it happens a lot! Stevens, Miss Kenton and Lord Darlington mainly.

Opinions?
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
Is there some hiding importance of looking out the windows in this novel....it happens a lot! Stevens, Miss Kenton and Lord Darlington mainly.
Maybe they're trying to look beyond the world of the Hall, beyond the stereotypically English, repressive social structure they're in?

Like that bit when they're watching Stevens' father searching about in the grass – it's like what Stevens is doing in the novel, retracing his steps to justify his life, and what went wrong in it.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
I have just finished the essay...I am almost 200 words over but it is a first draft so I don't suppose it matters
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
My teacher wants blood!

I was really pleased with my essay but I had it back today and it said

Nice choice of extract and good analysis of contextual influences and literary devices. However, you have

1. Gone over the word count
2. Not included enough terminology to be awarded anything more than an E

You must keep everything you have and add more analysis to improve your grade. A for effort, as usual.

I must have used terminology at least once per three lines! How can that not be enough!

I hate her I hate her.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes. I hate her too! :mad:
posh_git
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
omg! harsh!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.85%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.62%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.31%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
36.54%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads