Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section!

I just want some opinions and maybe a little advice!

When i started college, i pretty much picked rubbish A levels and didn't do that brilliantly, i never really knew what i wanted to do career wise.
    Anyways now i'm in my first year of uni doing ICT and i absolutely HATE it!
    I've been thinking about changing courses, but i only have 2 complete A levels, graphic design and ICT, and i want to completely change my subject field. Anyway i'm thinking, would it be a bit crazy to go back to college and pick completely different A levels and start all over again, i'd be like doing AS levels at like age 19/20.

Everyone keeps telling me it's a bit silly starting again now, and to just stick with computers =[ But i don't think i could handle sitting at a computer writing code forever

I'm fancying, english, sociology, politics, something along those lines, and maybe taking a combined honours degree at a different unviersity afterwards.

Has anyone else ever gone back and done A levels after getting to uni?
    Any sucsess stories?

Cheerz for any advice

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that it's what you really want to do, I think you should change courses, and fast. You're lucky it's only first year.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you do that part time alongside with what you studying now.

ReputationRep:
    you seem to lack direction, if its really something you want to do then why not. you can sit A levels by self teaching also. Its up to you!

ReputationRep:
    I think that sounds like a great idea, I can see why you would want to change tbh. I say go for it, and fast. You might even still be able to start ASs this year.

ReputationRep:
    If it's what you want to do, change!! I finished doing a course i didnt really like or enjoy. I was a bit down as i wasnt going to uni, thinking "surely being 18, its the next route." But i took a year off to think and work and went back to college at 19 to study something different. Its the BEST decision I could have made. It's not too late...! HOWEVER, i had to pay seeing as i was starting at 19. so if you can change now at 18, do it. x

ReputationRep:
    do it, there's no point in being unhappy with what you're studying

ReputationRep:
    I would never bother with carrying on with something i hated. I'd rather be two or three years behind and make better progress when I finally get into something I enjoy. You'll have much better motivation. Hope it all works out

ReputationRep:
    20 still doing AS? I could graduate by the time I'm 20!

I'd say if you don't like IT then you should probably just quit that try to get a job in the field you're interested in, i'm not sure how easy it would be to get a job in english, sociology or politics after graduation so it might be a better idea to get a few years work experience under your belt instead? That's what I woudld have done anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ils4e)
    Hey sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section!

I just want some opinions and maybe a little advice!

When i started college, i pretty much picked rubbish A levels and didn't do that brilliantly, i never really knew what i wanted to do career wise.
    Anyways now i'm in my first year of uni doing ICT and i absolutely HATE it!
    I've been thinking about changing courses, but i only have 2 complete A levels, graphic design and ICT, and i want to completely change my subject field. Anyway i'm thinking, would it be a bit crazy to go back to college and pick completely different A levels and start all over again, i'd be like doing AS levels at like age 19/20.

Everyone keeps telling me it's a bit silly starting again now, and to just stick with computers =[ But i don't think i could handle sitting at a computer writing code forever

I'm fancying, english, sociology, politics, something along those lines, and maybe taking a combined honours degree at a different unviersity afterwards.

Has anyone else ever gone back and done A levels after getting to uni?
    Any sucsess stories?

Cheerz for any advice

I did that, I went back to college for another two years. I thought it was a good idea at the time, and it was- It really opened my eyes, as I knew what I wanted and now I was going for it and etc . Pkus I got an offer from the course I wanted.

But theres times when you compre yourself to your friends who went straight to uni etc, and who are not going to be in as much debt as you are, But its your life at the end of the say. And regardless of what people say, you SHOULD do what you want.

As your friends and even family, are not going to be there day in and day out, as you struggl eto succeed in a profession that you hate. I finished college at the age of 20 etc, but from the extra 2 years at college- I done so much more, than what my friends have even done at uni or in theri careers.

College wont hold you back in life, you will still be able to do other things and work.

I dropped out of Thames Valley Uni, and went back to college to get the grades to study Medicine and I did get an offer etc, so yeah it worked out for me. And the whole age difference was not a problem at all.

I know I rambled, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx for all the great positive advice people, i've set up a meeting with my old college form tutor, it will be worth it in the end, and i'm motivated enough to do it. I think i'm going to go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ils4e)
    Thanx for all the great positive advice people, i've set up a meeting with my old college form tutor, it will be worth it in the end, and i'm motivated enough to do it. I think i'm going to go for it!
    Wish you all the best

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.