The Student Room Group

Essay question help!!

In the defence of loss of control to a charge of murder, special rules apply where the loss of control may be related to sexual infidelity.

Examine the meaning of ‘justice’ and discuss the extent to which application of the special rules on sexual infidelity in the loss of control defence may achieve justice.
You're asking for trouble
Original post by R_Mirza
In the defence of loss of control to a charge of murder, special rules apply where the loss of control may be related to sexual infidelity.

Examine the meaning of ‘justice’ and discuss the extent to which application of the special rules on sexual infidelity in the loss of control defence may achieve justice.

That is a question of enormous scope, so you really can make this essay your own.

I would proceed as follows:

Introduction
Set the context. Lay out the rules relating to loss of control and sexual infidelity, mention the meanings of justice you will discuss, and then state what you will argue//the position you will take.

Section one
Examine the meaning of justice according to your first chosen theory/philosopher. Then discuss how the rules on sexual infidelity in the loss of control defence achieve justice/do not achieve justice accordingly.

Section two
Examine the meaning of justice according to your second chosen theory/philosopher. Then discuss how the rules on sexual infidelity in the loss of control defence achieve justice/do not achieve justice accordingly.

Here I would choose a contrasting theory - so if you concluded the rules would achieve justice according to the meaning of justice in section one, I would choose a theory where I could conclude that the rules do not achieve justice for section two.

Section three (if necessary/appropriate/if you have the space for a third section)
Examine the meaning of justice according to a third chosen theory/philosopher. Then discuss how the rules on sexual infidelity in the loss of control defence achieve justice/do not achieve justice accordingly.

Here I would aim to choose a theory which ties in with the first and/or second one in some way, or one which strikes a middle ground/where you could argue either way. This may not work so if not then spend more time on two sections rather than have a third.

Conclusion
Sum up what you have examined; come to some sort of conclusion re whether the rules on sexual infidelity in the loss of control defence may achieve justice.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest