Turn on thread page Beta

What are problems such as stress, low self-esteem, and anxiety classified as? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a presentation on the personal, social, and family side effects / problems of obesity, and have gone through most of the health problems already (things like diabetes, liver disease, skin diseases, cancer etc) but I also need to talk about stress, low self-esteem, anxiety and depression, and want to seperate these problems out from those that effect the body more than the mind (how the patient is 'feeling'). But, as you can tell, I really don't know how to describe them - are they more psychological problems, or emotional, what's the right term to use, is there one? Thanks for any help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Mental?

ReputationRep:
    Bio-Psycho-Social?

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeah, mentals a good word, thanks! Haha, I feel incredibly thick now

Hm, bio-psycho-social sounds more professional, but isn't it a bit wordy and assuming, especially if it's not the actual correct term?

ReputationRep:
    They're psychological and/or psychosocial. Emotional problems are psychological.

Why are you listening to someone applying for politics and international relations? Why is someone applying for politics and international relations even in here? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlyly)
    Hm, bio-psycho-social sounds more professional, but isn't it a bit wordy and assuming, especially if it's not the actual correct term?
    Nail. Head. Contact.

It doesn't really mean anything at all as I can make out, its just fancy-talkin' Pseud's Corner stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Biopsychosocial.

Biological Psychological Social.

Something Biological which in turn affects you Psychologically, this then has Social implications.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Staggering ****, without the bold text I'd never have figured that out. And you put them all in sequence as well.

Seriously, all you're saying is that a disease has implications outside of its pathology. If this is any form of revelation to you, then god help the future. The relationship between how people live and our health is infinitely more interesting than crass over-simplifications and an almost narcissistic level of sympathy for "How hard it must all be". Remember kids, when the patient's upside down, you've gone too far (In reference to the OSCE-standard demonstration-of-consideration head tilt).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    Jesus Staggering ****, without the bold text I'd never have figured that out. And you put them all in sequence as well.

Seriously, all you're saying is that a disease has implications outside of its pathology. If this is any form of revelation to you, then god help the future. The relationship between how people live and our health is infinitely more interesting than crass over-simplifications and an almost narcissistic level of sympathy for "How hard it must all be". Remember kids, when the patient's upside down, you've gone too far (In reference to the OSCE-standard demonstration-of-consideration head tilt).
    Firstly, I was just offering a hand and giving an idea, so no need to act all high and mighty.

Secondly, what contribution have you actually made to the original question by going off on your little tirade? I'm sure you feel oh so much smarter now you've waved your e-arms around at a 17 year old!
    Though it may be a 'simple' and 'general' term, it is one used in Health Psychology with reference to stress and related 'illnesses'. That aside it has been used in research and is measurable both quantitatively and qualitatively. Therefore, it is a valid and usable term in both the Psychological and Medical worlds.

***In reference to what someone asked earlier, I saw this thread on the main page and thought it looked interesting as it links to subjects I'm studying, I didn't notice it was in the 'Medicine' forum. ***

ReputationRep:
    Puberty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Firstly, I was just offering a hand and giving an idea, so no need to act all high and mighty.

***In reference to what someone asked earlier, I saw this thread on the main page and thought it looked interesting as it links to subjects I'm studying, I didn't notice it was in the 'Medicine' forum. ***
    Thanks for sharing, you may go now...

ReputationRep:
    No no, do stay. Providing you can tell us what it is exactly. And, for an encore, how exactly it can be measured, either way.

Sorry, I just get incredibly wound up with this kind of thing. In particular, the way it is painted as a contrast between didactic, establishment doctors of the Thalidomide generation, with questionable attitudes toward consent and all that or their own particular blend of authoritarian niceness. Either be a Nice Person and apply all the necessary outward signs of caring or you're a Bad Person. Its the same logic that means if you wear a rubber band on your wrist then you really do genuinely care about charity. That and the way medical and non-medical psychologists get that big proud look on their faces when they think they've discovered something "New".

Trust me, I've had to write my share of this balls. And it hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I usually divide into Pathological problems and psychosocial (emotional, financial, relationships etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    Trust me, I've had to write my share of this balls. And it hurt.
    I have 1500 words reflecting on my experiences of teamwork coming up soon. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I have 1500 words reflecting on my experiences of teamwork coming up soon. :no:
    I hate this word already within 9 weeks. How have you guys lasted for years with it? lol

ReputationRep:
    They only made us start doing it in 4th year. Before that we were science-obsessed robots.

ReputationRep:
    And we're caring, considerate semi-social-workers crossed with nurses who consider all the life needs of the patient but don't know the right end of a scalpel.

Ahem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    And we're caring, considerate semi-social-workers crossed with nurses who consider all the life needs of the patient but don't know the right end of a scalpel.

Ahem.
    That's alright, there are plenty of us social recluses around to look after the pointy things. I even touched a patient without gloves once. But I ran away before I had to talk to him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.