The Student Room Group

Up learn 🌱 Chemistry OCR(A)❗

Has anyone tried the Chemistry OCR(A) ?I'm a bit skeptical since I tried a bit of the free trial.Im aware that after each topic they give you Exam practice quiz(have these been helpful?Are they similar to exam style questions in past papers e.gPMT)The Exam Questions section don't have Walkthroughs for every topic,I thought maybe because it's not paid maybe all the content is not there but when I emailed someone they said it's all completed.

I found this out on Tuesday after my Chem PEE when I realized that I really do need help and considered and started to search about getting a tutor or some sort of support(however I'm very hesitant about this because of the cost,it's just me and my mum, and ,please don't judge,I don't want to be a stranger into my home.

I'm in y13 and I have been getting Ds in topic tests,I really want to improve I am willing to put in the hours.It said on Up learn you should do 7+ each week,I can do 7 during my frees.

But has anyone here used Up learn Chemistry and has seen improvement?

I heard good things for maths and Economics
not doing ocr but im doing AQA chem and maths, uplearn can be quite tedious sometimes so better to pair it with an actual topic test from pmt for example.

I'm exactly the same, it's just me and my mum so i felt bad about asking for it, maybe look into whether you'd classify for a scholarship, i did well on a topic test a while back just using uplearn for things i didnt know paired with blurting and some exam questions. i struggle a lot with concentration and uplearn can be quite good sped up if you need a quick recap and they've just introduced summary videos which i love! if there's anythign else you want to know feel free to ask or dm me :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cherryblossomed
not doing ocr but im doing AQA chem and maths, uplearn can be quite tedious sometimes so better to pair it with an actual topic test from pmt for example.

I'm exactly the same, it's just me and my mum so i felt bad about asking for it, maybe look into whether you'd classify for a scholarship, i did well on a topic test a while back just using uplearn for things i didnt know paired with blurting and some exam questions. i struggle a lot with concentration and uplearn can be quite good sped up if you need a quick recap and they've just introduced summary videos which i love! if there's anythign else you want to know feel free to ask or dm me :smile:

My plan for day to day afterschool revision for y13 stuff if I get Uplearn is:
-Going over my classnotes
(My teachers are actually good so I don't feel the need to make additional notes from machemguy anymore)
-Then go over Uplearn on what I learn

My plan for revising for Topic tests if I get Up learn:
1)Finishing going over all my written classnotes
2)Make sure I complete the Uplearn section of that topic
3)Machemguy Walkthroughs on Topics
Extra:Go through past papers if I still have time(I used to print out at school but I might stop and just access the questions on my phone)
Did you see improvement using Uplearn?
You can get uplearn for free if you meet the criteria?
Reply 4
Original post by MedApplicantttt
You can get uplearn for free if you meet the criteria?

I don't get free school meal so no:/But thank you for the reply
Original post by B-star
My plan for day to day afterschool revision for y13 stuff if I get Uplearn is:
-Going over my classnotes
(My teachers are actually good so I don't feel the need to make additional notes from machemguy anymore)
-Then go over Uplearn on what I learn

My plan for revising for Topic tests if I get Up learn:
1)Finishing going over all my written classnotes
2)Make sure I complete the Uplearn section of that topic
3)Machemguy Walkthroughs on Topics
Extra:Go through past papers if I still have time(I used to print out at school but I might stop and just access the questions on my phone)
Did you see improvement using Uplearn?

personally, i would skip the class notes, to be honest. I go straight to uplearn because it's more interactive than just reading my notes. i put a lot more focus on exam questions, cause there are only so many questions exam boards can use, and seeing questions before definitely helps in topic tests. sometimes i go through tests with the mark scheme open, just to see what it is that I'm missing. it's been helping me a lot in chem to keep up with the past papers. especially multiple choice.

i've seen improvement in uplearn--back when i wasn't using it as much, i was kind of staying at the same level with a lot less effort. like i'd do 30 minutes of uplearn and walk out of a test with a c when i used to do 2 hours of revision and get that kind of result. since starting this new year and putting a lot more emphasis on using uplearn (i try to average at least 15 hours a week) i've actually been going up in grades. it's not perfect, and i think the way you do exam practice in it can be quite rigid, but the exam how to's are great! if you can find them, do them.

it can be really repetitive, and if you get one thing wrong on the subsection tests, even if you get the same question right elsewhere, you still have to relearn that section. sometimes it also takes a while to get to the point, so that can be annoying, but it's very good for using your time efficiently.

Quick Reply

Latest