The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Failed optional module in Postgraduate

I am a postgraduate student of De Montfort University. Unfortunately I failed an optional module just by 2 marks. Will university be lenient enough to pass that module? I passed all the other core modules.
Original post by Anonymous
I am a postgraduate student of De Montfort University. Unfortunately I failed an optional module just by 2 marks. Will university be lenient enough to pass that module? I passed all the other core modules.

According to their Academic Regulations for Taught Programmes, here, is seems not. :frown:

Many universities (including De Montfort) have a concept called "Compensation" which allows a module to be treated as a pass even though the pass mark has not been achieved, as long a certain other criteria have been met. (For example, it's very close to a pass, other modules have been passed, the average across modules reaches a certain threshold, etc.) However, Section 2 Paragraph 27 of the referenced document says, "Compensation is not available on postgraduate programmes."

Without knowing more about your circumstances it's difficult to give advice as to what options might be available to you. For example, how far through your postgraduate studies are you? (You say, "I passed all the other core modules", but presumably you mean "...so far", or have you effectively completed your studies now?) How was the module assessed - by written assignments, examinations, or some other method? Without knowing that, it is not clear to what "reassessed" in Section 2 Paragraph 37 would refer when it says, "On postgraduate programmes, including level 7 of integrated master’s programmes, students may be reassessed once in each module." It does seem to make it clear, however, that you have one further opportunity to pass this module (assuming this is not already your second attempt).

I suggest you contact your module leader or the Student Advice Centre for further guidance.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Yes it’s all about your university regulations.

My llm just done would allow one near miss. (Ie 40-48%) that you could choose to not resist and just have that included in your weighted average score. (And if you resat it would be capped at 50 anyway so a 49 wouldn’t affect marks too much v a 50)
But every university and course does it differently
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there! Hope you are doing okay.

As mentioned by Datavenia, we do allow leeway, however, it does depend on various other factors such as your overall performance, pass rate in all other modules, etc. You also do get an opportunity to resit the exam or redo the assignment and you should have received further information from your faculty.

Since, you are a current, the best team for you to get further support and advice, will be your faculty advice centre. You can find the contact details of all our student advice centres by visiting the following link: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/current-students/student-resources/student-advice-centres.aspx.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks!

Best,
Swarda, De Montfort University Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending