The Student Room Group

Social Care

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone is in the same position as me? I’m currently a 2nd year bioscience student but I want to work with people and to help and support them. I was going to try and aim to study medicine but realise I am more interested in the care side of support and less the medical science based side. I would love to work in social care as a social worker, nurse, community worker, or teacher where you can support the mental well-being of people and to get them through hard times.
My degree is starting to feel very pointless, though I can do postgrad study in these areas is it even worth me carrying on?

I don’t want to disappoint my family by stopping now especially with the financial implications of this, but I really don’t know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone is in the same position as me? I’m currently a 2nd year bioscience student but I want to work with people and to help and support them. I was going to try and aim to study medicine but realise I am more interested in the care side of support and less the medical science based side. I would love to work in social care as a social worker, nurse, community worker, or teacher where you can support the mental well-being of people and to get them through hard times.
My degree is starting to feel very pointless, though I can do postgrad study in these areas is it even worth me carrying on?

I don’t want to disappoint my family by stopping now especially with the financial implications of this, but I really don’t know what to do.

Bumped and moved to a more appropriate forum for you :smile:
Hi,

You might want to look into MA social work if it is the social care aspect you are more interested in. Social work is a regulated profession and this course will enable you to apply to register as a social worker, which opens the door to a wide range of roles in social care. There is also a social work bursary available that you may be eligible for.
Reply 3
Hi,

I’m in the same dilemma as you, i am currently in my second year of medical science and realised that it was a pointless degree in doing. i could stop now and start again first year with a different degree, but i don’t want to disappoint my parents into going all the way back to square

i’ve decided to do a masters afterwards. in either primary school teaching, children’s nursing or social work.

my advice is to do a masters course, taking 2 years. thoroughly research each career, the job opportunities, pay, but most important if the career aligns with your views and interests. go with what you will enjoy and see yourself doing for the majority of your life.

Quick Reply

Latest