The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Core Maths in lieu of GCSE Maths at University of Bristol?

I'm thinking of applying for geology at The University of Bristol but I saw that one of their entry requirements is to have a 6 for GCSE maths which I don't have (I got a 5).
However, I saw on their website: http://bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/gcse/higher-numeracy/
it says that 'If you do not have this grade, you need to meet at least one of the below requirements. We consider these UK qualifications to be equivalent to the specified GCSE grade' and it showed Core Maths among the types of qualifications apparently equivalent to a grade 6 in maths.
So I was wondering, if I were to take the core maths exam next year and get at least a grade B, despite having a grade 5 in Maths GCSE, would I be eligible for entry?
Grateful for any opinions I could get. Thanks.
I think the best thing to do is to both email bristol uni (they'll be very busy but worth a try) and post this in the offical 2023 bristol thread. I'm also applying for geology at bristol as my first choice so goodluck anyway! :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Jake9920
I think the best thing to do is to both email bristol uni (they'll be very busy but worth a try) and post this in the offical 2023 bristol thread. I'm also applying for geology at bristol as my first choice so goodluck anyway! :smile:

Then I'll try emailing them, thanks! Good luck on your application too!
They may accept it. However honestly though you are probably best off retaking GCSE Maths. Firstly, it's probably a tad easier than core maths, secondly, many other universities may require a 6 in GCSE Maths for earth sciences courses, and thirdly any science degree (including geology) will be necessarily mathematical and you need to be extremely confident in at least the standard algebra, functions, graphs, and stats topics from GCSE to succeed in one.

That foundation is absolutely essential, and glossing over it to do another mathematical qualification in lieu of fully preparing that seems to be missing the point - which is not "getting into the degree", but "doing well in the degree". If you end up with a 3rd because you can't cope with any of the quantitative aspects of the course (i.e. much of it) then you're not going get a great deal out of having gotten into the university in the first place.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending