The Student Room Group

Can you get into a university course without the UCAS points?

Hello!

I left school 2 years ago; due to mental health, my UCAS points weren't as good as they could have been (I think I got 65) which means I was unable to apply for University.

Since then, I've been self-teaching myself programming in my free time, and I'd like to say I'm at the point where I'm a mid-level programmer, with a lot of skill within *some* fields.

Although, I want to go to Uni (a computing degree) to make it official.

Would my skills I've self taught myself aid me in an application, or is my UCAS points just an insta-decline on most applications? I'm asking because Although I could go into a 1 year, Access course; the money involved is a LOT; it also carves a year out of my life of a course that I don't want to do, just for UCAS points to do what I actually want? I've heard of dream storys of universitys looking past the UCAS points sometimes, although is this a reality of a fever dream? And what can I do to increase my odds if i do end up applying?

Thanks!
As a mature student you can, yes, but as you've only left school 2 years ago you wouldn't yet class as being a mature student.

How about the Open University? There are no entry requirements for the OU:

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/computing-it/degrees/bsc-computing-it-q62
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
As a mature student you can, yes, but as you've only left school 2 years ago you wouldn't yet class as being a mature student.

How about the Open University? There are no entry requirements for the OU:

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/computing-it/degrees/bsc-computing-it-q62

I was looking through this and although I would be able to get in *hopefully* I do want to move out and go to university in person, get the whole experience and such!
I tried looking for some Online / distant learning courses (access to he courses specifically) although I only found one site offering it, and It looked a bit too sketchy to be buying a 3000 pound course from so did not go ahead with it.
Original post by RyanThomas00
I was looking through this and although I would be able to get in *hopefully* I do want to move out and go to university in person, get the whole experience and such!
I tried looking for some Online / distant learning courses (access to he courses specifically) although I only found one site offering it, and It looked a bit too sketchy to be buying a 3000 pound course from so did not go ahead with it.

Most universities wont accept you on 65 points although some lowly ranked might. You would need to research that. Universities tend to forego entry requirements for mature students ie over 21 so that might be worth looking into. Most universities will have a Maths requirement either at A level or GCSE for CS. Check that out. Uou might wither have to retake your A levels, take an access course or a foundation year.
Original post by RyanThomas00
Hello!

I left school 2 years ago; due to mental health, my UCAS points weren't as good as they could have been (I think I got 65) which means I was unable to apply for University.

Since then, I've been self-teaching myself programming in my free time, and I'd like to say I'm at the point where I'm a mid-level programmer, with a lot of skill within *some* fields.

Although, I want to go to Uni (a computing degree) to make it official.

Would my skills I've self taught myself aid me in an application, or is my UCAS points just an insta-decline on most applications? I'm asking because Although I could go into a 1 year, Access course; the money involved is a LOT; it also carves a year out of my life of a course that I don't want to do, just for UCAS points to do what I actually want? I've heard of dream storys of universitys looking past the UCAS points sometimes, although is this a reality of a fever dream? And what can I do to increase my odds if i do end up applying?

Thanks!

They could offer you a contextual offer another route would be to do a course with a foundation year you totally have the points for one of them this is one from my old university to give you an idea of how the course is structured. That would be a pretty good option or you could do a an HND/HNC (which would probably be done in a local collage) that would allow you onto the second (HNC) or third (HND) year of a degree.

While I understand another year at collage doesn't appeal it would give you a wider range of universitys to attend for the final two years. However if you feel like you'll want to stay at the university you get into then the Foundation is a good idea the only thing is is it means your locked in to that university for the next two years at the minimum you won't really be able to transfer after the foundation course because it's designed specifically for that university and probly not recognised by others. (Not saying it worthless it just has a different function.) Does that help at all?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest