The Student Room Group

What unis are good if i wanna get a job abroad? (Engineering)

I’m ready to send my ucas application but I’m not sure about my unis. Currently my choices are:

Imperial college london
Bristol
Warwick
Sheffield
Loughborough

I’m applying for design engineering/mechanical engineering. I know I want to travel, Bristols engineering design course has integrated placement year meaning I can only do a year abroad if i do the mech eng study year abroad..is changing my course to study abroad worth it? Would it be better to go for unis that rank high worldwide like ucl(even tho the mech eng course isnt the best)?? Also im aware i cant get a job fresh out of graduating but surely the uni i go helps right

Help pls
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by catss
I’m ready to send my ucas application but I’m not sure about my unis. Currently my choices are:

Imperial college london
Bristol
Warwick
Sheffield
Loughborough

I’m applying for design engineering/mechanical engineering. I know I want to travel, Bristols engineering design course has integrated placement year meaning I can only do a year abroad if i do the mech eng study year abroad..is changing my course to study abroad worth it? Would it be better to go for unis that rank high worldwide like ucl(even tho the mech eng course isnt the best)?? Also im aware i cant get a job fresh out of graduating but surely the uni i go helps right

Help pls

Okay, so you want to get a job abroad, here's what all the universities offer for your chosen courses:

Imperial: Doesn't offer study abroad for design engineering however it does offer for mechanical engineering: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/mechanical-engineering-department/mechanical-engineering-with-a-year-abroad/
Bristol: Doesn't seem to offer for design engineering but it does for mechanical engineering:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2023/mechanical-engineering/meng-mech-eng-study-abroad/
Warwick: Unable to get information due to a temporary server issue
Sheffield: Very vague so I can't find anything specific.
Loughborough: Offers study abroad for design engineering (one semester) and mechanical engineering (one semester) or you can take placement opportunities in other countries. for design engineering, you need AAA and for mechanical you need A*AA for reference.
Original post by catss

Imperial college london
Bristol
Warwick
Sheffield
Loughborough

Help pls

If you want to work internationally then going to a well known university is more important (UK & global recruitment are very different things...).

doing a placement year abroad is harder then in the UK, mainly because almost all engineering employers in the UK have a year in industry scheme for students whereas these are less common abroad and setting up visa’s and stuff for an internship is less likely to be worth the investment. But grad jobs they’ll be more opportunities.
Hi @catss,

I noticed you mentioned Loughborough in your thread, so I wanted to comment and try and help.

If you haven't already, you can find out what our courses offer here, along with information about opportunities to study abroad:

Mechanical Engineering MEng: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mechanical-engineering-meng/
Product Design Engineering MEng: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/product-design-engineering-meng/

If you need any further advice from Loughborough, you are welcome to get in touch with the team who manage the courses above by emailing [email protected].

I hope I've helped, but if you have any further questions, let me know. Have a great rest of your day!

- Lindsay
Original post by catss
@catssunis. Currently my choices are:

Imperial college london
Bristol
Warwick
Sheffield
Loughborough

Help pls

Hi @catss

I'm a 3rd year chemical engineering student from Sheffield, although I'm currently doing my year abroad at DTU Denmark!

Personally I think a study abroad is a great experience and a worthwhile one. I'll just quickly bullet point why I think so :smile:

- I've met people from all over the world and made new friends!
- I've learnt how to live in a different culture and setting. Which shows adaptability and the ability to communicate globally to employers.
- I got to choose modules that were previously not available to me at Sheffield which is exciting because you can choose something more personalised to you
- There are opportunities to learn a new language, which is useful if you want a job abroad

I know Sheffield offers studies abroad for mechanical engineering and quite often you can study mechanical engineering with a language, as one of my friends is currently in Spain studying. I'll paste the global opportunities link for below. This is where you can see all the available destinations that are available to mechanical engineering students at Sheffield.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/globalopps/outbound/study-abroad/where/mechanical-engineering

Good luck!
From Orla, 3rd Year Chemical Engineering Student.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi @catss

I'm a 3rd year chemical engineering student from Sheffield, although I'm currently doing my year abroad at DTU Denmark!

Personally I think a study abroad is a great experience and a worthwhile one. I'll just quickly bullet point why I think so :smile:

- I've met people from all over the world and made new friends!
- I've learnt how to live in a different culture and setting. Which shows adaptability and the ability to communicate globally to employers.
- I got to choose modules that were previously not available to me at Sheffield which is exciting because you can choose something more personalised to you
- There are opportunities to learn a new language, which is useful if you want a job abroad

I know Sheffield offers studies abroad for mechanical engineering and quite often you can study mechanical engineering with a language, as one of my friends is currently in Spain studying. I'll paste the global opportunities link for below. This is where you can see all the available destinations that are available to mechanical engineering students at Sheffield.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/globalopps/outbound/study-abroad/where/mechanical-engineering

Good luck!

Thanks for your response! Do you get to choose which partner uni you go to or is it decided for you?
Original post by catss
Thanks for your response! Do you get to choose which partner uni you go to or is it decided for you?

Yeah, I got to chose from lots of Universities from all over the world!
The only thing I had to check was that the modules taught there aligned with my degree, but that didn't limit my options at all.

Quick Reply

Latest