The Student Room Group

Picked 4 A-levels...is it ok?

Hii,
So basically, I am going to be sitting my GCSEs this coming summer and I've just given my sixth form application in.
I've decided to do biology, chemistry, physics and psychology. I love space and physics in general and I want to take Astrophysics in university.
My parents are both doctors and want me to be one too so I've picked Chemistry too. I enjoy all sciences but I'm not sure if this is right choice?
I picked psychology as a 'backup' because most people I have talked to said physics will be to hard so if my grades aren't good i'll drop it and continue with all the psychology content done so i wont have to catch up.
Is this a good idea?
If u acc want to do astrophysics swap psychology with maths.
Original post by StormyInk202
Hii,
So basically, I am going to be sitting my GCSEs this coming summer and I've just given my sixth form application in.
I've decided to do biology, chemistry, physics and psychology. I love space and physics in general and I want to take Astrophysics in university.
My parents are both doctors and want me to be one too so I've picked Chemistry too. I enjoy all sciences but I'm not sure if this is right choice?
I picked psychology as a 'backup' because most people I have talked to said physics will be to hard so if my grades aren't good i'll drop it and continue with all the psychology content done so i wont have to catch up.
Is this a good idea?

If you want to study any kind of physics degree at uni (astro or otherwise), you need to take A-level Maths. Virtually all physics degrees require both maths and physics to A-level, and the degrees are extremely mathematical throughout to it's really necessary to be used to doing a lot of maths anyway - A-level Further Maths would be very good preparation as well.

Biology and psychology are unrelated and unhelpful for pursuing physics at degree level.
Reply 3
Hii,
Is this a good idea?

Hey,
I’m in year 12
I’m currently doing Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths

A levels are a step up from GCSEs.
I personally found my self relearning science ,as it was so simplified at GCSE.Especially Physics and Chemsitry A-levels ,where some of the content we were taught at gcses doesn’t apply or is different/added on at A Level. I was honestly surprised when I found out that the electronic configuration was different at A levels ,whereas in maths all the same principles still apply and it’s just more content.

You’ll also cover other topics in physics other than space.
Do you currently enjoy them at GCSE?

Over summer holidays ,complete a work experience program ,where you can gain more insight in a career.

Also if you’re going to study AQA A level physics ,astro physics isn’t a compulsory topic.
Sixthforms/college decide/pick a topic to study in year 13 from the list of optional topics ,where Astro physics is included.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
You still have a lot of time to change as you can change it at the interview, on results day and a few weeks into the course (depending on your sixth form). I would suggest looking at university entry requirement at astrophysics using UCAS and if you may become a doctor have a look at that. Also usually your 4th option will usually be the one you would sit at as level if you decide you don’t want to do the full course. I would definitely recommend spend your 6 weeks holidays checking requirements and having a look at how the a level courses you want to take would be you could use YouTube/ the internet, the exam board website or ask someone on here.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Further is ridiculously hard and only the top 1% nerds are able to get a good grade in it, especially at A level. Most non add math students struggle to score well in regular As/A level math as well. Math is a must for almost every career, so I'd advise you to drop psych.

If you can't handle 4 A levels, then you'll have to decide between astrophysics and medicine. Personally, despite being obsessed with space myself, I'd pick medicine because I like helping people as well, and the pay is very high esp if you practice in the US ($200k a year usually - you can buy a Porsche 911 in $110k)
Original post by s-600
Further is ridiculously hard and only the top 1% nerds are able to get a good grade in it, especially at A level. Most non add math students struggle to score well in regular As/A level math as well. Math is a must for almost every career, so I'd advise you to drop psych.

If you can't handle 4 A levels, then you'll have to decide between astrophysics and medicine. Personally, despite being obsessed with space myself, I'd pick medicine because I like helping people as well, and the pay is very high esp if you practice in the US ($200k a year usually - you can buy a Porsche 911 in $110k)

Here's a note on picking medicine. I'm from a family of doctors, and everybody says don't go into medicine unless you really want to. Sure the pay is high, but you'll be working so hard that you may not even have the time to spend it. You pretty much have to be fully aware that you are likely to lose contact with most of your friends due to the stress of med school, you'll lose your 20s, and when everybody is at home celebrating things like Christmas, you're going to be at the hospital, working as per usual. Sure it gets better as you get more senior, but you do have to go through the stress and chaos of being at the bottom of the food chain first.
Sorry I don't mean to scare you, just want you to know that medicine is more than a job, its a lifestyle, so don't pick it just because it's what your parents want you to do.
Hii,
Is this a good idea?

Heya!
As others have said, if you want to do anything physics related then having maths a-level is usually a must for a lot of physics-related courses. perhaps switch psychology for maths to keep your options for physics courses available :h: If you need science resources in the future then do check Study Mind for free chem, bio and physics resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by hs1233
Hey,
I’m in year 12
I’m currently doing Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths

A levels are a step up from GCSEs.
I personally found my self relearning science ,as it was so simplified at GCSE.Especially Physics and Chemsitry A-levels ,where some of the content we were taught at gcses doesn’t apply or is different/added on at A Level. I was honestly surprised when I found out that the electronic configuration was different at A levels ,whereas in maths all the same principles still apply and it’s just more content.

You’ll also cover other topics in physics other than space.
Do you currently enjoy them at GCSE?

Over summer holidays ,complete a work experience program ,where you can gain more insight in a career.

Also if you’re going to study AQA A level physics ,astro physics isn’t a compulsory topic.
Sixthforms/college decide/pick a topic to study in year 13 from the list of optional topics ,where Astro physics is included.

yeah i enjoy all my sciences at GCSE. also is there anywhere or anything specific that i ought to do for work experience?
The only advice I can give you is take into consideration what others have said and ultimately pick what you think is best for you.

In year 12 I took 4 A-levels (English language, history, economics and sociology) that aren't anywhere near as academically intensive as what you're potentially going to be doing, and I found it to be a massive burden. Just remember that in sixth form you'll become considerably more independent in your studies and the workload increases significantly. As others have said, switching psychology for maths is a wise choice, mainly because at least then you have flexibility. If you can cope with the workload then you will have a stronger subject combination. If not, then you can drop either maths/biology and aim to study medicine or astrophysics respectively.

4 can be a good choice for the start of your A-levels, it gives you some wiggle room and time to work things out; that being said, as soon as you feel one of the courses has got to go (e.g. if its becoming too stressful, or your grades are being negatively affected), don't try and stick it out. In 99% of cases it will do more harm than good. 3 solid grades will be much more useful than 4 mediocre ones considering it sounds like you'll be going on to apply for very demanding university courses.

Additionally, consider some other options that you might be able to give yourself - it's easy to be sucked into a small scope of opportunities that limit your prospects after sixth form. Take some time to think about any other careers or fields of study that interest you, read up on pathways to said careers and then - if applicable - check UCAS to see what A-levels you might need to find a spot on a university course.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your GCSEs!
As others have said, maths is going to be essential if you want to study astrophysics. Also, please don't pick a subject just because your parents want you to. It's not worth it.
Hii,
Is this a good idea?

Hey,
I'm in year 12 and studying Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
Firstly you need to make a right choice when choosing which A levels you want study as after 3-4 weeks starting your course you won't be able to switch your A levels, the sixth form will most likely not allow. Seeing that you've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psychology is a good choice but I think you could swap Psychology for Maths as degrees in the Physics field require good Maths ability/applications and Astrophysics in general has Maths involved and maybe if you want too swap Biology for Further Maths but that's if you're top at Maths and actually want to study it but it may or may not be handy when going on to studying Astrophysics. You could become a doctor but you probably need to go to med school for that but then you need to study Chemistry and Biology, Psychology may come in handy in that case.
Hopefully I've been helpful
Hii,
Is this a good idea?

I'm no expert but if you want to do astrophysics then I would swap psychology for maths and maybe switch biology for further maths or keep biology (would ignore the parent's demands, do what you want to do in my opinion) but @mnot
Hii,
Is this a good idea?

If you are interested in physics definitely do maths & potentially further maths. biology & psychology are of minimal benefit to a physics application.

Maths is essential.
(edited 1 year ago)
For astrophysics I would do maths, physics, further maths and either biology or chemistry (if you want to do four).
If you don't like maths that much, I'd do maths, physics, geography and either biology or chemistry. But check out university entrance requirements if you've not already, there might be some astrophysics courses where you don't need maths at all.
Hii,
Is this a good idea?

You need Maths A level for the course you are thinking of studying. Check some university websites.
Original post by mnot
If you are interested in physics definitely do maths & potentially further maths. Physics & psychology are of minimal benefit to a physics application.

Maths is essential.

Sure that you didn't mean biology or chemistry 😅 but yeah thanks for giving advice to the OP.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Sure that you didn't mean biology or chemistry 😅 but yeah thanks for giving advice to the OP.

Yep sorry biology & psychology

Quick Reply

Latest