The Student Room Group

A- Level Combinations For Linguistics

I am in my final year of GCSEs and am applying for A- Levels soon. I want to do linguistics in Uni and I am thinking of taking English Language, Mathematics and Classical Civilisation for A- Levels, but I don’t know if it’s an okay combination?
(Lots of people seem to say an MFL is helpful for Linguistics degree- I’ve taken GCSE German and have a pretty good predicted grade but not keen on taking it for A-Levels.)

I also read Psychology or a Science are good A-levels for Linguistics and am willing to swap out maths or classical civilisation for one of these.

Any advice?
Original post by Asdfghjkl1827
I am in my final year of GCSEs and am applying for A- Levels soon. I want to do linguistics in Uni and I am thinking of taking English Language, Mathematics and Classical Civilisation for A- Levels, but I don’t know if it’s an okay combination?
(Lots of people seem to say an MFL is helpful for Linguistics degree- I’ve taken GCSE German and have a pretty good predicted grade but not keen on taking it for A-Levels.)

I also read Psychology or a Science are good A-levels for Linguistics and am willing to swap out maths or classical civilisation for one of these.

Any advice?

Hi! I did some research for you, and I think you have chosen a great combination! English Language is a staple for linguistics studies, Classical Civilisation is another essay subject, which will help prove to admission tutors you are suited to the course, and in this thread, a poster talked about the benefits of doing A-Levels maths when applying for Linguistics. I hope this helped! :h:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2420739
Original post by Liliette
Hi! I did some research for you, and I think you have chosen a great combination! English Language is a staple for linguistics studies, Classical Civilisation is another essay subject, which will help prove to admission tutors you are suited to the course, and in this thread, a poster talked about the benefits of doing A-Levels maths when applying for Linguistics. I hope this helped! :h:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2420739

Thank you so much! ☺️

Any advice?

That's a perfectly reasonable combination. Really any subject can provide some relevant transferable skills though. There are some experimental aspects of linguistics (in phonetics mainly) which some unis have more of than others (e.g. UCL) and if you're interested in those having done an experimental subject might be helpful so you have more exposure to the experimental method and writing up experiments. Languages can be helpful to give you more context to some of what you study later if you make a point of focusing on thinking about the grammar and understanding what is happening with that, but is not essential.

Really just take whichever subjects you're most interested in and think you will do best in and you should be fine :smile:
Thank you so much! ☺️

No problem! :heart:
S

Any advice?

Seems like a good combination to me, although if you're not keen on German (or languages in general) I'd wonder whether you'd be suited to a linguistics degree, as such a degree involves a lot of language theory. It's like someone saying they want to study Engineering but don't like Physics.
Heya coming from someone who has just applied for linguistics for uni (and German). I’ve noticed especially in my interviews and stuff that having a language at A level is really useful because you can always make comparisons between that and English. So far maths hasn’t been particularly useful for linguistics (I do maths and further maths…) but if you like it then I would keep doing it. I don’t know anything about science but as a general rule unis seem to want you to have to analysis skills so maybe a humanity (e,g history) would be useful. Tbh linguistics is a totally different subject from any studied at a level so as long as u read around the subject a bit, then just enjoy ur self at a level and don’t worry too much about what u take !

Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest