The Student Room Group

Science degree that only requires one science a level?

I have only taken A Level biology in terms of stem subjects but would like to do it at university, are there any universities that only require one science a level? When choosing my A Levels I was told by the head of year 12 that no biology degrees require two sciences. This is a lie however I didn't doubt him due to his authority. I had previously mentioned doing psychology but didn't end up taking it, it's incredibly frustrating that they didn't just tell me to do psychology as universities count it as a second science.
Original post by chimplimp
I have only taken A Level biology in terms of stem subjects but would like to do it at university, are there any universities that only require one science a level? When choosing my A Levels I was told by the head of year 12 that no biology degrees require two sciences. This is a lie however I didn't doubt him due to his authority. I had previously mentioned doing psychology but didn't end up taking it, it's incredibly frustrating that they didn't just tell me to do psychology as universities count it as a second science.

what subjects did you take?
Reply 2
Original post by JeremyStudy
what subjects did you take?

Biology, History and English Language. I was under the impression that I didnt need maths or a second science so I dont imagine my other a level options help with what I want.
Biology, History and English Language. I was under the impression that I didnt need maths or a second science so I dont imagine my other a level options help with what I want.

Your best bet is probably to look for degrees with foundation year entry, as that will give you a much wider range of options.

That said, you should be certain you are interested in studying a science degree in full - the artificial divide between the sciences and maths at school lever does not exist in uni and it is a necessarily mathematical field, no matter what area of science you go into. Likewise chemistry is the foundation of most modern molecular bioscience which in turn informs most other areas of bioscience (e.g. organismal level biosciences) and so usually you will at least need to study some chemistry in first year and/or in a foundation year to progress, and be comfortable with ideas from chemistry being used fluently in the course.

So if you chose not to do any other science or maths options at A-level because you didn't like them, think about whether a science degree is actually something you will like!
Reply 4
Thanks for the help. I didnt not choose a different science or maths because I didnt like them it was mainly because I liked the aspect of doing a wide range of a levels, so I'll definitely look into the foundation year you've recommended thank you.

Original post by artful_lounger
Your best bet is probably to look for degrees with foundation year entry, as that will give you a much wider range of options.

That said, you should be certain you are interested in studying a science degree in full - the artificial divide between the sciences and maths at school lever does not exist in uni and it is a necessarily mathematical field, no matter what area of science you go into. Likewise chemistry is the foundation of most modern molecular bioscience which in turn informs most other areas of bioscience (e.g. organismal level biosciences) and so usually you will at least need to study some chemistry in first year and/or in a foundation year to progress, and be comfortable with ideas from chemistry being used fluently in the course.

So if you chose not to do any other science or maths options at A-level because you didn't like them, think about whether a science degree is actually something you will like!
Thanks for the help. I didnt not choose a different science or maths because I didnt like them it was mainly because I liked the aspect of doing a wide range of a levels, so I'll definitely look into the foundation year you've recommended thank you.

Bear in mind in a science degree you will be exclusively studying sciences and supporting maths courses. If you like having a range of topics and approaches to study again, a science degree may not be the best option for you. You may prefer something like anthropology and/or archaeology where you can study scientific/biological approaches as well as other approaches and have more variety in the content of the course.

Heya!
There are some unis and courses that can accept only 1 science but you will need to do some research on which courses and unis do that, you can try researching on unicompare! If the course you or uni you want to go to requires 2 sciences, then you would aim to find out whether they offer a foundation year (you can read more about it here). So, don't give up on your STEM dream yet, there are ways to still get into it :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest