The Student Room Group

where do i find resources to self teach science alevels

where do i find the resources to self teach science alevels
Original post by ramz89

Depends on which science A levels. I have made a list of resources I used when I studied chemistry and physics. It can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

I’d also be interested to know what exam boards each of your A level subjects are, as that can affect what content you need to learn.
exam boards - mark schemes are one of the most valuable things to revise with (learn exactly what they're looking for) and the spec has everything you need to know
physicsandmathstutor.com
YouTube you'll be able to find these yourself specific to the exam board you are using
for chem Allery Chemistry and Elliot rintoul are great
for bio Miss Estruch has some good videos too
didn't do physics so have no idea for specific channels
hope this helps
Original post by TypicalNerd
Depends on which science A levels. I have made a list of resources I used when I studied chemistry and physics. It can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

I’d also be interested to know what exam boards each of your A level subjects are, as that can affect what content you need to learn.
Original post by ramz89

How are you going to pass the practical endorsement?
Original post by Muttley79

Excellent point. I believe to do the practical endorsements privately, it isn’t cheap.

OP, if you are currently in sixth form, then don’t worry about the cost of the practical endorsement, as the funding given to the school will sort that out (presumably).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5

Is that even necessary? does it affect the final grade? what is that?
Original post by ramz89

Which specification are you looking at?
Reply 7
Which specification are you looking at?

aqa
Original post by ramz89

It is necessary if you want to be accepted into a uni to study a science subject.

Basically all of your required practicals are judged and whether you display competence is assessed. You either pass or fail. This has no impact on your final grade, but can make it harder to get into uni if you fail.
Reply 9
Original post by TypicalNerd
It is necessary if you want to be accepted into a uni to study a science subject.

Basically all of your required practicals are judged and whether you display competence is assessed. You either pass or fail. This has no impact on your final grade, but can make it harder to get into uni if you fail.

is it used to prove you have the skills, or is it meant to be challenging. do you know how much it would cost to do it privately?
Original post by ramz89

I did biology (OCR) chemistry (OCR) and physics (AQA)
For chemistry
- Allery chemistry
- Chemrevise - also there is for AQA
- Textbook (mainly only for questions there)
- Quizlet
- Machemguy (for OCR I think)
- Save my exams

For biology
- Textbook
- Biorach (for OCR)
- Miss Estruch (For AQA but good for OCR as well)
- Physics and maths tutor notes
- Save my exams

Physics
- Scienceshorts - Excellent for past paper question walkthroughs and summaries of each topic. Even practicals
- Physics online
- Save my exams
-CGP revision guide

Make notes using the spec points only
Do a lot of practice questions from Physics and maths tutor (even the multiple choice!!)
Get a tutor to mark your questions especially the long markers (like 6 markers)
Past papers is a MUST!!! from the exam board themselves or from physics and maths tutor
Original post by ramz89

Heya!
Check out Study Mind for free science resources such as past papers and revision notes all done by topic :h: If you are interested there are also science online courses to help you with your revision.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by ramz89
is it used to prove you have the skills, or is it meant to be challenging. do you know how much it would cost to do it privately?

its to prove that you can work in a lab setting and can do relevant research/write ups. Most unis require it. Ive seen places offer it for ~£800 often included in sitting the actual exams too
Original post by Anonymous9795
its to prove that you can work in a lab setting and can do relevant research/write ups. Most unis require it. Ive seen places offer it for ~£800 often included in sitting the actual exams too

Couldn’t have put it better myself

Quick Reply

Latest