The Student Room Group

What uni should I choose

I have ABC and I do EPQ and I want to apply for psychology. I got psychology for B and I don’t know which uni to apply. I have put UCL as the as the aspirational cause they give me a contextual offer with BBB as it balances it out. I have put reading with ABB they give alternative offer for EPQ and Westminster with BBC these are the 3 unis I have decided I don’t knw which else to apply to. Kings gives me the contextual offer as well there is AAB with a must A in either psychology or biology. Which I don’t have and is higher then my predicted.Queen Mary want AAA and they will give alternative offer to EPQ if u achieve A and I am eligible for contextual for my school. Royal Holloway have AAA to AAB they give contextual offer for my epq my parents never went uni and for my school. Idk wht else to use I m sooo scared and worried. I really want to go to the best uni and I have the lot of potential. Please can someone recommend a good uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Brightaurora
I have ABC and I do EPQ and I want to apply for psychology. I got psychology for B and I don’t know which uni to apply. I have put UCL as the as the aspirational cause they give me a contextual offer with BBB as it balances it out. I have put reading with ABB they give alternative offer for EPQ and Westminster with BBC these are the 3 unis I have decided I don’t knw which else to apply to. Kings gives me the contextual offer as well there is AAB with a must A in either psychology or biology. Which I don’t have and is higher then my predicted.Queen Mary want AAA and they will give alternative offer to EPQ if u achieve A and I am eligible for contextual for my school. Royal Holloway have AAA to AAB they give contextual offer for my epq my parents never went uni and for my school. Idk wht else to use I m sooo scared and worried. I really want to go to the best uni and I have the lot of potential. Please can someone recommend a good uni.

What about Bath? A friend of mine doing psych says it's a good uni for it.

Of course, at the end of the day, you should pick a uni you like. The modules and course structure will likely vary a bit, so look for what suits you best.
Am not entirely sure but I think University of Bath does not give contextual offers i.e. they do not lower their entry requirements but seem to have other means to assess candidates. Psychology is very competitive at Bath. Entry requirements are AAA - A*AA.

I assume you want to stay in or near London. How about Brunel or Kent. I havent checked their grades or if they offer Psychology but they are in the area that interests you. It is unlikely UCL will make you an offer as they dont use UCAS points so wont balance out as you say.
Yep I want to find a uni in London or near because I don’t want to move out and neither my parents are okay with it. I really want to go to good uni.
Original post by BubblesBB
Am not entirely sure but I think University of Bath does not give contextual offers i.e. they do not lower their entry requirements but seem to have other means to assess candidates. Psychology is very competitive at Bath. Entry requirements are AAA - A*AA.

Bath has higher grade requirements then my predicted so I can’t apply there
Original post by sleep_supremacy
What about Bath? A friend of mine doing psych says it's a good uni for it.

Of course, at the end of the day, you should pick a uni you like. The modules and course structure will likely vary a bit, so look for what suits you best.
Original post by swanseajack1
I assume you want to stay in or near London. How about Brunel or Kent. I havent checked their grades or if they offer Psychology but they are in the area that interests you. It is unlikely UCL will make you an offer as they dont use UCAS points so wont balance out as you say.

Kent is far and Brunel is okay. I asked my teacher about UCL and she said it’s okay to apply there as I have a strong personal statement I was worried about that as well. She said that UCL wants B-road range of people with different cultures and backgrounds. I am talking a risk and hope god is with me 🥺
Kent is far and Brunel is okay. I asked my teacher about UCL and she said it’s okay to apply there as I have a strong personal statement I was worried about that as well. She said that UCL wants B-road range of people with different cultures and backgrounds. I am talking a risk and hope god is with me 🥺

Kent is an hour by fast train. If you are looking for good universities you need to look outside London. London has top universities like UCL, Imperial and LSE which want mega grades and al number of lowly ranked ones but not a lot in the middle.

Hi @Brightaurora

Have you cosnidered Edge Hill University? :smile:

I am a second year Psychology student at Edge Hill and I am really enjoying it so far! The course is really interesting and is approved by the British Psychological Society which is really important if you are wanting to go on to do post graduate study.

The campus is beautiful and and teaching is great. Edge Hill is located in Ormskirk which is a small town between Liverpool and Southport. The Psychology department is great! You have access to so many facilities and there are so many opportunities. For example there is a paid Psychology internship scheme where you na help carry out Psychological research in your Second year which I am currently doing (mine is on Virtual Reality)!

If you would like to know more about the university you can speak to students on a one-to-one basis on the Ambassador platform which I will link here. This allows you to ask anything you want about the course, university life, entry requirements, anything:smile: I am on the platform so if you would like to ask me any questions I would be happy to help!

If you are interested I would recommend attending an Open day as you will be able to speak to Psychology lecturers and current Psychology students. It will give you an opportunity to ask any questions and see the facilities such as the Psychology labs (for example the VR lab).

I hope this is helpful!

Katie - Second year BSc Educational Psychology student
Hi Katie thank you for your reply. I am aiming to apply in London and not outside I am not allowed to go outside of neither and I myself not planning to do so but thank you for your opinion.
Hiii (I really hope someone replies to this, I feel like thestudentroom is such an outdated app that no one ever uses anymore lol.) I'm going to study psych at uni but not sure which uni to go to!!
All of my 5 choices sent me conditional offers (mostly AAB requirements only one with BBB). I'm 100% sure I want Brighton Uni (BBB) to be my insurance just because of the low grades, in case the worst comes to worst. But I'm struggling to decide between RHUL, QMUL, Sussex and Surrey.
I am 90% I do not want to stay in London and want to go to Sussex, but QMUL just looks so appealing because it's a Russel Group. RHUL I only applied to because its such a pretty campus but is in the middle of nowhere!!!!! Obviously, my parents want me to stay in London and go to QMUL but I really really want the independence of living alone and away from my parents. So, if anyone has any advice on which uni to go for, LMK!!!!! thankyou
Original post by lauralisavuletic
Hiii (I really hope someone replies to this, I feel like thestudentroom is such an outdated app that no one ever uses anymore lol.) I'm going to study psych at uni but not sure which uni to go to!!
All of my 5 choices sent me conditional offers (mostly AAB requirements only one with BBB). I'm 100% sure I want Brighton Uni (BBB) to be my insurance just because of the low grades, in case the worst comes to worst. But I'm struggling to decide between RHUL, QMUL, Sussex and Surrey.
I am 90% I do not want to stay in London and want to go to Sussex, but QMUL just looks so appealing because it's a Russel Group. RHUL I only applied to because its such a pretty campus but is in the middle of nowhere!!!!! Obviously, my parents want me to stay in London and go to QMUL but I really really want the independence of living alone and away from my parents. So, if anyone has any advice on which uni to go for, LMK!!!!! thankyou

You say, that you "want to go to Sussex, but QMUL just looks so appealing because it's a Russel Group". What value is it's membership of the Russell Group to you?

The Russell Group is a branding/marketing exercise designed to promote its members. Members of the Russell Group are not necessarily the best places for any particular subject. For Psychology, one of the best places to study it in the UK is Bath, which is not a member of the Russell Group. Another excellent place to study Psychology would be St. Andrews, which is also not a member of the Russell Group. If you'd applied to either of these universities and been fortunate enough to receive an offer, would you turn down those offers just because those unis were not members of the Russell Group? No, of course you wouldn't. So why do the reverse and pick a university just because it is a member of the Russell Group?

I'm not a great fan of league tables, but they can be useful in dispelling the Russell Group myth. Over the last five years, Queen Mary University of London has never been in the top 30 for Psychology according to either The Complete University Guide or The Guardian. So the 24 members of the Russell Groups are clearly not the best 24 universities in the country for Psychology. According to the current league table for Psychology from the The Complete University Guide (here), Sussex ranks above QMUL by several places (25th vs. 31st). According to their data, Sussex is better for Student Satisfaction, Research Quality and Graduate Prospects. Do you still think "QMUL just looks so appealing because it's a Russel Group"? I hope not.

If you return to your original statement, that you "want to go to Sussex, but QMUL just looks so appealing because it's a Russel Group" and remove QMUL from it, your decision is clear. :smile:
...I feel like thestudentroom is such an outdated app that no one ever uses anymore...

Are you actually using the app, rather than the web site? Come and join us at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ if you are. According to the home page, it's quite popular. :wink:

Usage Stats.JPG

Which university you go to is a personal choice and people will decide differently.

The fist thing to say is the Russell Group is meaningless so ignore it. Prior to 2011 Queen Mary and Sussex were in the same 1994 group. QMUL paid to join the Russell group. Sussex didnt. Neither did Bath, Lancaster or St Andrews along with several others.

It is very difficult to rely on league tables as they us different methodology so come up with different answers. The difference in places can have little effect and are often minute.

The big questions you need to decide are. Where do I prefer the course and where will I be happiest. You need to decide how close to home you need to be or how big a city you wish to live in. Do you prefer to live in a green out of town campus or in a built up city.

These are factors only you can decide not you parents and you need to come to a decision that is right for you not anybody else.

Quick Reply

Latest