The Student Room Group

A Level Choices (is 4 too much including art? Is film studies respected?)

I have no idea what I want to do in the future, and could see myself either studying English at university, or doing a foundation year in something creative, so fine art, film, media etc. The problem is these paths are very conflicting and have very different entry requirements.

To keep my options open I think English Lit and Art would be suitable A Levels, but some of the top universities also recommend taking history (which I don't enjoy as much) or a language alongside English. This would mean taking English Lit, Art, History, and Film studies (something I am really passionate about taking, though I doubt is respected by Oxbridge.)

Having struggled with Art at GCSE (mainly time management), I'm worried that A Level will be too much, despite the extra time to spend on it.

If anyone has any advice that would be great!
if history is recommended that means you don't need it and won't be disadvantaged by the admissions tutors for not taking it

film studies is not an especially strong A level but what are you aiming for? history would be better for oxbridge, but a better grade (in film studies) is probably more valuable to you
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
if history is recommended that means you don't need it and won't be disadvantaged by the admissions tutors for not taking it

film studies is not an especially strong A level but what are you aiming for? history would be better for oxbridge, but a better grade (in film studies) is probably more valuable to you

Thank you !

So if it was me (with film studies instead of history) against another candidate who had both English and History A Levels, would that not make any difference to the admissions tutors?

I could take Film studies as an AS level, but I think I would benefit more from the full A Level.
Original post by maiisswag
Thank you !

So if it was me (with film studies instead of history) against another candidate who had both English and History A Levels, would that not make any difference to the admissions tutors?

I could take Film studies as an AS level, but I think I would benefit more from the full A Level.

no im saying history is not especially important to your application. history being recommended is their way of saying it might be helpful to your performance once you're on the course. BUT im also saying film studies is not as strong, so the admissions tutor might favour the comparable history student over you, but i don't know that

Quick Reply

Latest