This discussion is closed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I was just thinking today and I wondered what other people thought.

Should parents who commit child abuse and are violent ever get their children back once they are taken away from then. I don't know where the law currently stands on the matter but I would be interested to know what other people think.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Perhaps it should depend on the circumstances and take each situation on its own merits.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if it was down to me the answer would end up as no.

mainly due to the fact that said parent(s) would no longer exist.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends on to what extend the abuse has occured and over time too. In cases of naglect parents often dont persue to get the childrn back though in cases where the parents emotions and abusive nature is tied up with the child then parents will apply for custody. Generally children aren't given back as its detrimantal to their mental health.
randdom
Rep:
?
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Perhaps it should depend on the circumstances and take each situation on its own merits.
I know what you mean but is there ever an excuse for abusing your child. By abusing I don't mean smaking them once I mean causing them serious physical harm. How can it ever be justified to put the child back in that situation.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I know what you mean but is there ever an excuse for abusing your child. By abusing I don't mean smaking them once I mean causing them serious physical harm. How can it ever be justified to put the child back in that situation.

How would emotional abuse count towards that? I know its much easier with physical abuse but that can be very serious too.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

How would emotional abuse count towards that? I know its much easier with physical abuse but that can be very serious too.
Its harder for social services to prove mental abuse on children
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The worst is when children who have been sexually abused are made to have contact with the offending parent becuase they have been rehabliatated.
randdom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarky)

I agree that emotional abuse is also a horrible thing and if it is proven then it should probably be put in the same catagory as physical abuse.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree that emotional abuse is also a horrible thing and if it is proven then it should probably be put in the same catagory as physical abuse.
How do you prove mental abuse?
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
There is no way that I'd ever let myself be put back in the care of anyone who abused me in any way, and I can't fathom how people can support that move either.
Unfortunatly social services are tied to the law and law dictates that unless a parent has been proved to abuse their child and no investigations are pending then they are entitle to custody. Very rarely do the people involved in the cases do wnt to put a child into that environment. Its a bad system unfortunatly.
randdom
Rep:
?
(Original post by frost105)
How do you prove mental abuse?
I don't know that is why I said it should be proven. You can probably determine it from talking to psychologist.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know that is why I said it should be proven. You can probably determine it from talking to psychologist.
Unfortuatly its very difficult with chilldren in particular. They still beleive the lies they are told and will protect their persecutors. At least you would need prolonged sessions with the child and the child would need to be out of the family home. Also another problem would be that it would most likely be a psychiatrist who would do the assessment as well as a clinical psychologist and both are in defecit in this country as it is thus the child would only get 1/2 sessions and chances are they wouldnt tell what had happened to them.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was just thinking today and I wondered what other people thought.

Should parents who commit child abuse and are violent ever get their children back once they are taken away from then. I don't know where the law currently stands on the matter but I would be interested to know what other people think.
Absolutely not.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Of course there isn't ever an excuse for abusing a child.
randdom
Rep:
?
Unfortuatly its very difficult with chilldren in particular. They still beleive the lies they are told and will protect their persecutors. At least you would need prolonged sessions with the child and the child would need to be out of the family home. Also another problem would be that it would most likely be a psychiatrist who would do the assessment as well as a clinical psychologist and both are in defecit in this country as it is thus the child would only get 1/2 sessions and chances are they wouldnt tell what had happened to them.
I agree thats why it is so hard to determine emotional abuse.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The worst is when children who have been sexually abused are made to have contact with the offending parent becuase they have been rehabliatated.
I should think cases like that are rarer than rocking horse ****. I've never heard of a case where access/visitation rights are given to a parent who has sexually abused their child.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I remember several years back a 10 yr old child was taken away from its mother becuase she was schizophrenic.The abuse had escalated over 2 years as she heard voices telling her the child was the devil and she had to harm it. Child goes to foster care, mother is put into treatment. She cant be prosecuted as she has a disease of the mind. 3 Years later she is on meds and has successfully managed to get access to her child and 1 year later is awarded custody. Although the woman was medicated and in the right mind that poor child was forced to go back and live with the person who tortue them for 2 years.

Thats why the system sucks.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I should think cases like that are rarer than rocking horse ****. I've never heard of a case where access/visitation rights are given to a parent who has sexually abused their child.
There have been 3 in Liverpool that I'm aware of over the past 2 years. £ too many
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
Mrah, I know.

But on the most part, the child does get at least some say.

I've seen child welfare officers - custody and visitation went where I wanted.

I'm lucky.
In most cases it goes well as can be expected but I oppose children being sent back to their tormenters just becuase parents have rights an can twist the laws to what they want.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads