The Student Room Group

Is 62 bad for first essay LLB

The average was 63.4 I can’t help but feel bad because I did so poorly. It was my first essay and I did do it last minute so I can’t expect amazing but it is demoralising.
62% is a 2:1, so it's a very good start. Bear in mind the standard grading scale for unis has 70% as a 1st class result, 60-69% as a 2:1, and so on and so forth. It's very rare to get substantially over 70% - 75-80% would be extremely high marks for essay based work. Over 80% is pretty rare for such work and over 85% often suggests it contains original research and may be publishable with some polishing. Getting over 90% would be nearly unheard of in essay based assignments usually - happens now and again but very unusual I think.

So it's a good result, and a great start, congratulations :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
No, it’s a great start! I did much much worse for my first law assignment. You shouldn’t put too much pressure on yourself for your first essay as you’re still getting the hang of uni structure and writing. That’s why first year doesn’t count.
Original post by Ahjjjkkk
The average was 63.4 I can’t help but feel bad because I did so poorly. It was my first essay and I did do it last minute so I can’t expect amazing but it is demoralising.

Hi there :smile:

Not at all! Uni is graded a lot harsher than Alevels/GCSE's so it takes some time to get used to. For your first essay, 62 is great. You don't want to be getting a first this early on as this grade gives you 'room for improvement' which means you will have access to lots of useful feedback that will benefit you throughout your degree. Some people get lucky with getting a first at the beginning, lose momentum throughout the years and then they don't have any real feedback to fallback on. The reason why first year doesn't count is to give students time to adjust to the way uni works and the grading system so I really wouldn't worry too much! As time goes on you will get the hang of the grading system and realise that in most cases 62 is a good grade that many people strive to achieve. Its obviously relative to each person but honestly I wouldn't worry. Keep going and try not to put too much pressure on yourself!

Best wishes
Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest