The Student Room Group

Offer holder days

I’ve been invited to attend a uni offer holder days but it’s not compulsory though they recommend you go. Should I? What happens in them? Are parents allowed to accompany you the whole day? Is there a chance they change the offer they gave me to a better one if the like me during the event?
It’s a chance for you to experience the university and get a taste for how they work. Often unis will do a taster lecture and show you round their facilities and accommodation. Gives you a chance to speak to the lectures and other students more personally.
No parents don’t accompany you the whole day because it’s closer to an induction day at a new school than an open day.
No chance of anything to do with your offer being changed as a result of the event.
Original post by sh_1205
I’ve been invited to attend a uni offer holder days but it’s not compulsory though they recommend you go. Should I? What happens in them? Are parents allowed to accompany you the whole day? Is there a chance they change the offer they gave me to a better one if the like me during the event?

Offer holder days are very, very useful. They give you a chance to look at the university and the surrounding area to see if it is right for you. A university will try to sell their establishment to you. You can take your parents and most do. They will separate you and your parents who can go for a coffee or a walk around the campus and town. You will have talks with lecturers and other students and you are free to ask questions. You will meet other students who are considering going there. The only drawback is the cost of getting there. I would definitely recommend taking a parent as it is useful to have company when travelling and first arriving. I went to all my sons visit days with him and his mother also came to a couple.
Original post by sh_1205

Hi there :smile:

Congratulations on getting your offers! Offer holder open days are another chance to visit unis and refresh your memory. This can greatly help when deciding which uni you want to firm and insure. When I attended regular open days they mainly involved general course talks and campus tours. Although some unis will still offer this, a lot of unis will run taster lectures and seminars to help you get a feel of what its like to study at that uni. I personally went to my top 3/5 offer holder open days because I was struggling to decide between going to a campus or a city uni. Visiting the unis again allowed me to explore the surroundings a lot more as I already had a general consensus of how to navigate around. I would also say that offer holder open days tend to be a lot more relaxed and personal than regular open days. There is a lot less running around as you have most likely already been to all the general talks and tours so more focus is put on the course and modules that you will study. I also used the day to visit the nearby town/city and locate the nearest supermarkets, shops, train station etc. In terms of whether parents are allowed, I think this depends on the uni. Usually you are allowed to bring parents to the open day but there may be certain parts where they will have to wait outside e.g. taster lectures. This is because unis want you to get a real feel as to what being in a lecture is like. Your offer will not change based on the offer holder open day so it is completely up to you whether you go or not. Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Joanna
-Uni of Kent
Original post by sh_1205

If you already have an offer they are not going to change it just because you attend an Offer Holder Day.

Its worth going if you didnt go to an Open Day at that Uni. They will explain about the course and you can talk to current stuents etc.
Its pretty much a mini, course-specific, open day and an opporunity for the Uni to 'sell' the course/Uni to you now you have an offer.
Original post by sh_1205

My son found it useful to revisit his top two choices to confirm his firm and insurance. The offer-holder visits were much more subject-department focused than the open days (although you could arrange an accommodation visit if you'd not already done one). Parents were welcome - at one uni we were together the whole time, at another parents were sent on a different tour to the students.
I think if you have already been to the Uni at least once, talked to the tutors and students, seen a sample lecture and got a sense of the accommodation / SU / people who go - you will have a good sense of the place. If you have any specific questions then you can get them answered by email / call with Uni rather than visiting

Took my daughter at least twice to each choice, she is wavering on her 2 insurance choices so I figure we might go to both of them again on offer holder day - but only because it will help with decision making

You may have already spotted this, its worth checking what the day will contains. At one the Uni is inviting all applicants for the day, so we get a feel for what a busy campus would be like. At the other each department has a different day (not sure if it is term time yet). One down side of Open Days we have been to is that the students aren't there, and a busy campus always feels different
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sh_1205

Hi there!

Offer holders days are a great chance to learn more about the university and to see whether you could picture yourself studying/living there. You also have a chance to have some tasters lectures and ask any course related questions directly to your lecturers. They aren't compulsory, and the university will never penalise you for not going, but it's simply there as a chance for you to make a more informed decision on where you want to go. Parents are also welcome, and there are often talks that the parents can attend while you have taster classes. I would completely recommend attending an offer holder day; the University of Surrey became my top choice after visiting on an offer holder day so I'm a big advocate! Please do get in touch if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,
Alice, Modern Languages student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending