The Student Room Group

A-Levels

What would be a good a-level to go with Maths and Economics? Physics and Computer Science aren’t an option, and I’m not confident enough to go with further maths.
(edited 1 year ago)
You could choose anything really. Maybe an essay subject like history/geography? I think it's always good to have at least one essay based subject with A-levels as it shows a different skillset. What about politics? Or if you're into biology I think biology a-level has essays (but I'd need someone who actually did biology to back me up on that or not lol).
Original post by stcrmyweather
You could choose anything really. Maybe an essay subject like history/geography? I think it's always good to have at least one essay based subject with A-levels as it shows a different skillset. What about politics? Or if you're into biology I think biology a-level has essays (but I'd need someone who actually did biology to back me up on that or not lol).

I was never really good with geography and history, and I’d rather choose a subject that’s similar to compliments economics and maths well due to maths being my best subject.
Moved to A-Levels
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Moved to A-Levels

Huh?
Original post by Idontknowbruh
Huh?

I have moved this thread to the A-Levels section
Reply 6
What would be a good a-level to go with Maths and Economics? Physics and Computer Science aren’t an option, and I’m not confident enough to go with further maths.

I'd agree with the other post that an assay based subject would be ideal - maybe a traditional humanities subject like English/History or any one of the social science subjects like Geography, Law, Psychology, Sociology. Politics, Philosophy etc. They would all work really well.

A broad range of subjects is often preferred by Unis, rather than narrow/overlapping subjects, so I would not worry too much about choosing something that is similar to Maths/Econ. Any essay based subject would complement it well.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7

psychology! it’s essay based so shows u can write essays outside of economics. it also has linked to economics (behavioural economics) and statistics in maths (such as significance levels and correlation etc). there’s also some economics and maths questions in psychology but very very basic, but u can use ur knowledge from ur other two subjects here to maximise ur marks. i take maths econ and psychology and like these subjects. it can be really difficult tho cos it’s sm content and lots of case studies.

It depends what exam board you're on, for whether you get essays in Biology, I do Edexcel A and there are no essays but I believe AQA has an essay

A-level economics is essay based.
Original post by lalexm
I'd agree with the other post that an assay based subject would be ideal - maybe a traditional humanities subject like English/History or any one of the social science subjects like Geography, Law, Psychology, Sociology. Politics, Philosophy etc. They would all work really well.

A broad range of subjects is often preferred by Unis, rather than narrow/overlapping subjects, so I would not worry too much about choosing something that is similar to Maths/Econ. Any essay based subject would complement it well.

Economics at a level is essay based in my opinion (trust me, I was conned into thinking that it would be predominately Maths based but oh boy was a scammed. For a-level economics you need to be able to use the right graphs, analyse them, analyse case studies etc all if the form of essays). There are some multiple choice questions though (least that's the case for AQA):

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/economics/as-and-a-level/economics-7135-7136/assessment-resources

Heya!
Pick something you would enjoy :h: What did you enjoy during your GCSEs? Perhaps pick from that? Would you be interested in doing another essay-based a-level such as Politics (would go well with economics) or perhaps you want to have an option to do science as well e.g. biology? I would recommend looking at content for different subjects and picking something that you find interesting.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest