The Student Room Group

Laptop vs tablet?

I'm not sure what's more useful for uni. My laptop is really heavy and runs out of battery fast, but my tablet is really old and almost out of storage. I'm wondering whether I should invest in a new tablet (or at the very least, a new cover, mine's so tattered :redface:) or just stick with the laptop?

What device did you use the most through uni?
(edited 1 year ago)
I personally use a laptop but if I look around in a lecture hall, there are plenty of people using a tablet, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'm not sure what's more useful for uni. My laptop is really heavy and runs out of battery fast, but my tablet is really old and almost out of storage. I'm wondering whether I should invest in a new tablet (or at the very least, a new cover, mine's so tattered :redface:) or just stick with the laptop?

i mostly use an ipad! apple has student discount ms (educational pricing i think is what they call it) I prefer writing notes instead of typing so, i usually use my ipad, that way i can take notes. But if you prefer to type then go with a laptop!
Original post by jacqz
i mostly use an ipad! apple has student discount ms (educational pricing i think is what they call it) I prefer writing notes instead of typing so, i usually use my ipad, that way i can take notes. But if you prefer to type then go with a laptop!

I didn't know about the student discount! How do you avail it?

Tbh, I normally handwrite my notes, but I feel like that may be too slow for uni, so I'm looking into other options.
student discount can be found through the ''UNI DAYS'' app or website. alongside a lot more discounts. its really useful!
Original post by glimmerell
student discount can be found through the ''UNI DAYS'' app or website. alongside a lot more discounts. its really useful!

It's asking me for a student ID, so I'm assuming I can't avail these offers until I've firmed a place. Still a really cool find, thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
I didn't know about the student discount! How do you avail it?

Tbh, I normally handwrite my notes, but I feel like that may be too slow for uni, so I'm looking into other options.

you just go to apple and education pricing! they will ask you for student/education staff verification afterwards tho! its not a whole lot cheaper cause its still apple but sometimes they have back to school discounts during september which has free air pods and stuff too!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jacqz
you just go to apple and education pricing! they will ask you for student/education staff verification afterwards tho! its not a whole lot cheaper cause its still apple but sometimes they have back to school discounts during september which has free air pods and stuff too!

Thanks a lot! I'm assuming I'll need to be a verified uni student to use it fully, but I'll hold on to it till then! :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks a lot! I'm assuming I'll need to be a verified uni student to use it fully, but I'll hold on to it till then! :smile:

if youve got an acceptance letter or offer letter to uni, or any proof that youre a student (secondary school wont count) i think theyll take it too! you could always drop by an apple store and ask the staff to see if you qualify! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jacqz
if youve got an acceptance letter or offer letter to uni, or any proof that youre a student (secondary school wont count) i think theyll take it too! you could always drop by an apple store and ask the staff to see if you qualify! :smile:

Does a conditional offer letter count, or will it only be valid if it's unconditional?

Hello @sleep_supremacy,

There are a range of pros and cons for using either a laptop and tablet. I usually take my laptop to my lectures and seminars, but this is sometimes be difficult due to the battery life and size. I also have a Kindle Fire Tablet, which has been useful for my university readings whilst I make notes on my laptop. Maybe try experimenting taking notes on your laptop for one lecture, then use a tablet for another! This might help determine what device is best for you to use at university.

I hope this helps and have a lovely week :smile:
Olivia (BA History and University of Lincoln TSR Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi @sleep_supremacy

I think like others have mentioned using either a laptop or a tablet is purely down to personal preference.
I use both a laptop and a tablet. I take my tablet to uni to make lecture notes, as it is light and easy to carry. I usually keep my laptop at home as it is heavier and I prefer to use it for assignments and essays.
Which one do you prefer using from the two? Also think about which one has more storage, you may need something that is able to hold your lecture notes and assignments.

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @sleep_supremacy

I think like others have mentioned using either a laptop or a tablet is purely down to personal preference.
I use both a laptop and a tablet. I take my tablet to uni to make lecture notes, as it is light and easy to carry. I usually keep my laptop at home as it is heavier and I prefer to use it for assignments and essays.
Which one do you prefer using from the two? Also think about which one has more storage, you may need something that is able to hold your lecture notes and assignments.

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:

Thanks for your reply! :smile:

I also think a tablet would be easier to carry, but mine's really old, so I would have to buy a new one if I wanted one and that's obviously an expensive investment to make. That's why I was asking for the pros and cons of both :smile: How do you make notes on your tablet? Do you write them with a stylus, or do you type them out with one of those magnetic bluetooth keyboards?

Also slightly unrelated, but do lecture halls usually have any charging ports? My laptop tends to die really fast and it'd be great if I didn't have to lug around deadweight for half the day :redface:
I would get a new laptop for Uni, an old one probably won't hack it.
Macs will last a whole day on a charge, PC's didn't use to.
Some lecture theatres have sockets, pretty much every uni space has people charging their gear.

Normally you can't access the education site without being on JANET/eduroam which is the University wide web system but the shop may be able to tell you what sort of discount you get. I would wait however, as new stuff comes out.

It also depends on what system the Uni uses. Some are Mac based, or some creative courses are.
The Uni generally provides free office 365 and some other software - be sure that the software that the uni gives you runs on a Mac (or PC)
Original post by domonict
I would get a new laptop for Uni, an old one probably won't hack it.
Macs will last a whole day on a charge, PC's didn't use to.
Some lecture theatres have sockets, pretty much every uni space has people charging their gear.

Normally you can't access the education site without being on JANET/eduroam which is the University wide web system but the shop may be able to tell you what sort of discount you get. I would wait however, as new stuff comes out.

It also depends on what system the Uni uses. Some are Mac based, or some creative courses are.
The Uni generally provides free office 365 and some other software - be sure that the software that the uni gives you runs on a Mac (or PC)

Laptop isn't that old, tablet is though :tongue:

So if I was attending a lecture, I'd be able to charge my laptop? This thing lasts for like an hour tops :redface: The battery's defective, and it broke well after the warranty expired. Idk how to get that fixed, and I can't buy a whole new laptop now.

Thanks for the tip! :biggrin:
Laptop isn't that old, tablet is though :tongue:

So if I was attending a lecture, I'd be able to charge my laptop? This thing lasts for like an hour tops :redface: The battery's defective, and it broke well after the warranty expired. Idk how to get that fixed, and I can't buy a whole new laptop now.

Thanks for the tip! :biggrin:

If you know the model/type of your laptop, you should be able to just replace the battery in your laptop and you'll be all good :smile:

If it's an older laptop, the battery just unclips from the bottom/back. Newer laptops have the battery built in but all you need to do is remove the bottom cover. If you can't do it yourself, you can ask a computer shop for assistance (replacing the battery in your current laptop will be much cheaper than buying a new laptop!).

Also, I'd recommend using whatever power saving modes you can use (this will depend on the operating system being used, I know that Windows has a "battery saver" mode that comes in useful).

And regards to new laptops, battery life can vary by model and will rarely hit the manufacturers' quotes - they're usually very optimistic.
Original post by spotify95
If you know the model/type of your laptop, you should be able to just replace the battery in your laptop and you'll be all good :smile:

If it's an older laptop, the battery just unclips from the bottom/back. Newer laptops have the battery built in but all you need to do is remove the bottom cover. If you can't do it yourself, you can ask a computer shop for assistance (replacing the battery in your current laptop will be much cheaper than buying a new laptop!).

Also, I'd recommend using whatever power saving modes you can use (this will depend on the operating system being used, I know that Windows has a "battery saver" mode that comes in useful).

And regards to new laptops, battery life can vary by model and will rarely hit the manufacturers' quotes - they're usually very optimistic.

You can do that :eek:

The battery seems to be built in, since I can't see any sort of unclipping mechanism. I'll look into getting a new battery, thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

I have a Windows laptop, and use battery saver, but it doesn't seem to do much. That's what first clued me in to the fact that my battery may be acting up.
Thanks for your reply! :smile:

I also think a tablet would be easier to carry, but mine's really old, so I would have to buy a new one if I wanted one and that's obviously an expensive investment to make. That's why I was asking for the pros and cons of both :smile: How do you make notes on your tablet? Do you write them with a stylus, or do you type them out with one of those magnetic bluetooth keyboards?

Also slightly unrelated, but do lecture halls usually have any charging ports? My laptop tends to die really fast and it'd be great if I didn't have to lug around deadweight for half the day :redface:

I think cost wise it all depends on the brand you want to buy. Some laptops from certain brands may be cheaper than the well known branded iPads.
Like other students have mentioned there are student discounts available throughout the year.
I make notes on my tablet by typing with my magnetic keyboard (purely because I have lost my stylus, which in a way is a disadvantage :frown:)

At my university there are some rooms with charging ports around the lecture hall. However, a lot of us tend to use the charging ports on our laptops/tablets.
Having charging ports on our devices is an advantage in a way however, you have to make sure you know whether your laptop/tablet has either USB C or a USB A port which are only compatible with certain charges.

Hope this helps!
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
I think cost wise it all depends on the brand you want to buy. Some laptops from certain brands may be cheaper than the well known branded iPads.
Like other students have mentioned there are student discounts available throughout the year.
I make notes on my tablet by typing with my magnetic keyboard (purely because I have lost my stylus, which in a way is a disadvantage :frown:)

At my university there are some rooms with charging ports around the lecture hall. However, a lot of us tend to use the charging ports on our laptops/tablets.
Having charging ports on our devices is an advantage in a way however, you have to make sure you know whether your laptop/tablet has either USB C or a USB A port which are only compatible with certain charges.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply! :smile:

As a uni student, which tablet would you recommend? I'm sure that the more well-known brands aren't as good as some lesser known ones, seeing as that's how the trend generally is in life :laugh:

My laptop is actually one of those 360 degree ones, and it has a stylus too, but it's discharged. I'm looking into upgrading the stylus and getting a new battery. Hopefully that ends up cheaper than getting a new one! :biggrin:

What do you mean by 'charging ports on your devices'? Don't all devices have charging ports? I was asking about plug points, where I could plug in a charger :tongue:
Thank you for your reply! :smile:

As a uni student, which tablet would you recommend? I'm sure that the more well-known brands aren't as good as some lesser known ones, seeing as that's how the trend generally is in life :laugh:

My laptop is actually one of those 360 degree ones, and it has a stylus too, but it's discharged. I'm looking into upgrading the stylus and getting a new battery. Hopefully that ends up cheaper than getting a new one! :biggrin:

What do you mean by 'charging ports on your devices'? Don't all devices have charging ports? I was asking about plug points, where I could plug in a charger :tongue:

I currently use the surface pro which I find is quite easy to carry and pretty easy to use!
I'm sure all devices do have charging ports, however, you might be faced with a situation where the room you are in has no plug points or you are sat where the plug points aren't close enough to you.
Your charging ports may be one of your only choices so it may be a good idea to check you are able to plug your charging cable to your device :smile:

I hope this help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending