Durham Undergrad Medicine? Watch

Jinxy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Do you know if they have a cut off GCSE point that they don't state on their website?

Also, they state at least biology must be taken..If that's all I have do you think that I'd get rejected or I stand a chance without chem?

My GCSE's were okay but could have been better.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's no GCSE cut off point and it will not harm your application if you only have biology (providing you do have chemistry at GCSE).

Why Durham? I'd go with Newcastle myself.... :ninja:
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
There's no GCSE cut off point and it will not harm your application if you only have biology (providing you do have chemistry at GCSE).

Why Durham? I'd go with Newcastle myself.... :ninja:

I actually meant to put Newcastle and Durham in that title I wasn't thinking straight. I haven't chosen yet where I'd prefer to go, I have about a year to do so.

And - I did email them about this, they haven't got back to me yet. Do you think re sitting a few GCSE's to get a better grade would harm my application if i did it during sixth form ? They are maths and one science.
fairy spangles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
River85 how rude.

People **** off stockton but its not all that bad. Houses are cheap - you will have a huge circle of friends. I like it. Durham is bout 45 mins on the free bus - running up until 2am or something in the morning. Theres a train straight to newcastle/metro centre/ york/durham / saltburn and whitby and ive even been scarbrough is nice in the summer.

Anyways back on track - what GCSE's did u get??
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by fairy spangles)
River85 how rude.

People **** off stockton but its not all that bad. Houses are cheap - you will have a huge circle of friends. I like it. Durham is bout 45 mins on the free bus - running up until 2am or something in the morning. Theres a train straight to newcastle/metro centre/ york/durham / saltburn and whitby and ive even been scarbrough is nice in the summer.

Anyways back on track - what GCSE's did u get??
oh it sounds quite nice :p:

I got A*AAAAAABCCC (on the whole im not really that happy but only cos i'm interested in med and those gcse's are not great compared to most people applying in my opinion but i did the best i could do at the time.)

English AA
Sci AB (B is barely any marks off an A so I'm wanting to re sit that to get an A as it won't take any work really)
maths C (i need to re take that did it year early :\ !)

I don't mind re taking these, what bothers me is that it will disadvantage me when applying if I've re taken. Also I'm not sure if many unis take short courses into account because if not I'm one C grade less.
fairy spangles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well i didnt get as many A's as you of thats any help i didnt get an A* either.
If you desperately wanna retake maths then go for it.
Im sure A and AS levels woud be more important than GCSE's. Just wait for them to reply by e-mail, thats probably the best solution.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
well i didnt get as many A's as you of thats any help i didnt get an A* either.
If you desperately wanna retake maths then go for it.
Im sure A and AS levels woud be more important than GCSE's. Just wait for them to reply by e-mail, thats probably the best solution.
yeah thank you..

What were your gcse's and what year are you in at uni?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
River85 how rude
:eek: I'm not rude!

I defend Queens Campus (and Stockton) on a number of occasions. Stockton's decent enough but it's important to remember it is a town and not a large, bustling city. To compare it to Durham, or any city, is unfair. People see Middlesbrough as (rightly?) being a dump then unfairly extend that to Stockton. You're right, there are some lovely places around Stockton (North Yorkshire's within easy enough reach, Teesdale, Yarm...)

I wasn't ****ging Stockton off. It's just that, if I was a medical student and had to chose between Durham and Newcastle, I'd chose Newcastle.
Lychee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Newcastle and Durham operate their own seperate entry criteria for medicine and I believe in the past at least the Durham has been slightly easier to get into (maybe because the competition isnt so stiff) If I were you I might consider that as a factor in choosing. or just put in an open app.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise