The Student Room Group

English

Like right now I am failing English.In my school it's not complusory to pick it in higher but does all (most)universities want higher English-If it's not complusory I would rather pick geography though

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
It depends on what you want to do at university, the only time I’ve seen Higher English compulsory is for Law and other literature subjects like history. But then even more universities just look at a B at National 5.
If you want to do something along those lines I would say take it but if not there’s no harm in taking geography.
Reply 2
Original post by lmhou2007
Like right now I am failing English.In my school it's not complusory to pick it in higher but does all (most)universities want higher English-If it's not complusory I would rather pick geography though

Spoiler

Pick whichever subjects you love most and think will be useful to you in the future :smile: No point wasting a couple of years on a subject you hate., especially as you don't need English at higher level for any subjects other than... well, English tbh. Some unis might recommend taking English, just so you have a good grasp of essay writing, but it's not compulsory and won't affect your chances of getting in. Do you take the IB? If you do (I do too!), most unis in Britain recognise that it's a challenging course, no matter what higher levels you pick, and you'll end up with a good grasp of English at standard level. Think of your higher subjects as A-levels, the subjects you'll go on to study later. It probably isn't worth wasting one on a subject you hate and won't use. Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Thanks everyone,l know that English was complusory before but im more into the sciences.l know it's not an requirement but my family is forcing me to pick English though AND THEY'RE NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO ME.Like they don't even know how hard English is for me.They say that l can pick whatever subject l want but not actually.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by elleann
Pick whichever subjects you love most and think will be useful to you in the future :smile: No point wasting a couple of years on a subject you hate., especially as you don't need English at higher level for any subjects other than... well, English tbh. Some unis might recommend taking English, just so you have a good grasp of essay writing, but it's not compulsory and won't affect your chances of getting in. Do you take the IB? If you do (I do too!), most unis in Britain recognise that it's a challenging course, no matter what higher levels you pick, and you'll end up with a good grasp of English at standard level. Think of your higher subjects as A-levels, the subjects you'll go on to study later. It probably isn't worth wasting one on a subject you hate and won't use. Hope that helps!

For IB is it an alternative to highers but more advanced?
Reply 5
Original post by lmhou2007
For IB is it an alternative to highers but more advanced?

If it's not the IB, it doesn't matter :smile: Your highers will be the equivalent of A-Levels and IB higher subjects
Reply 6
Original post by elleann
If it's not the IB, it doesn't matter :smile: Your highers will be the equivalent of A-Levels and IB higher subjects

k thx
Reply 7
Congrates to me l don't have to do English now yasssss!!!

Managed to persade my mom and my sister about it:colondollar:

So l am picking Geo:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending