The Student Room Group

Working bank level 2,3,4

I've just finished my first year as a student nurse and have been working on bank as a band 2 hca. What I would like to know is a what point do I get reclassified as band 3 due to my increased skillset? Does it vary by trust or is there a recognised point where all student nurses get 'bumped up a band. I have been led to believe it happens when we progress to the next year but is it actually when we start year 2 or when we have passed the progression boards or do we need to do something?
Original post by DavidGarnett
I've just finished my first year as a student nurse and have been working on bank as a band 2 hca. What I would like to know is a what point do I get reclassified as band 3 due to my increased skillset? Does it vary by trust or is there a recognised point where all student nurses get 'bumped up a band. I have been led to believe it happens when we progress to the next year but is it actually when we start year 2 or when we have passed the progression boards or do we need to do something?

It's very much trust dependent.
Where I work, when I was a student nurse, if you worked on bank you were band 2 whether you were 1st year not started placement or finished 3rd year waiting on your registration.
Currently, where I work, student nurses are still paid band 2 on bank regardless of where they are in their training. They only get paid band 3, maybe band 4, if they start a full time contract after qualifying but before they get their registration.
Some places will pay students slightly higher per higher year group but not sure how they get the pay rise.
This is what I found on the NHS website in Scotland about student nurses working as bank nurses.

HCSW Student Nurse - Adult

Working as a Bank HCSW offers many benefits whilst you are undertaking your healthcare university programme
NHS Scotland is recruiting Adult Nursing Students onto its Staff Bank as Health Care Support Workers. (HCSW)
This post offers nursing students an excellent opportunity to commence and build experience whilst completing their nursing student programmes.

You will be paid on Agenda for Change Band 2 pay scale for HCSWs, on a 0.25 hrs working arrangement.

All Staff Bank roles are to cover temporary shortages across NHS Health Board areas.

Original post by Emily_B
It's very much trust dependent.
Where I work, when I was a student nurse, if you worked on bank you were band 2 whether you were 1st year not started placement or finished 3rd year waiting on your registration.
Currently, where I work, student nurses are still paid band 2 on bank regardless of where they are in their training. They only get paid band 3, maybe band 4, if they start a full time contract after qualifying but before they get their registration.
Some places will pay students slightly higher per higher year group but not sure how they get the pay rise.

Also like you said Emily about band 4 as newly qualified nurses until they receive there nursing registration and then can work as band 5 bank nurses alongside a full time nursing position.

I think that they will get the pay rise in according to there pay banding.....!!!
Original post by DavidGarnett
if the shifts are band 2 you'll get band 2 and generally bank HCA shifts are for band 2s as band 3 roles have specific skills and authorisations that are location dependent
I’m a bank HCA (not a student nurse yet though, I’m starting in September) and here all of the bank HCAs are band 2 and all bank nurses (which you can only become 6 months after getting your PIN) are band 5.
Original post by Wild_flower98
I’m a bank HCA (not a student nurse yet though, I’m starting in September) and here all of the bank HCAs are band 2 and all bank nurses (which you can only become 6 months after getting your PIN) are band 5.

So what is your issue with this like....

Student nurses will always be on band 2 with HCA Bank nursing positions. Sometimes you need to wait for a few months before you can apply for Bank nursing but you can still work as normal HCA nurses or auxiliary nurses. Bank nursing is more suitable for students because of them able to work around there study's etc.

Newly qualified nurses who has their registration from NMC can work as band 5 Band Bank nurses due to them being qualified.
Original post by Tracey_W
So what is your issue with this like....

Student nurses will always be on band 2 with HCA Bank nursing positions. Sometimes you need to wait for a few months before you can apply for Bank nursing but you can still work as normal HCA nurses or auxiliary nurses. Bank nursing is more suitable for students because of them able to work around there study's etc.

Newly qualified nurses who has their registration from NMC can work as band 5 Band Bank nurses due to them being qualified.

Student nurses aren't always on band 2 for bank - it's trust dependant, some trusts pay band 3 to 2nd years and band 4 to 3rd years and it's trust dependant. (Not my trust, but elsewhere nearby they do this with higher bands for students on bank, but this is for student nurses training at the University associated with them).
Wild flower isn't OP, and they don't seem to have a problem but are just stating an observation like the rest of us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending