The Student Room Group

What happened to the UK?

What happened? The news is saying there is an economic crises, etc.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I take it you don't live in the UK? We're in a recession.
Original post by Resonant_System

Brexit, Covid, war in Ukraine ... take your pick
UK is not the only one. Almost every country is experiencing recessions:frown:. But I think the economy of the UK is declining faster than a lot of countries
Yes
(edited 1 year ago)
We've let the same inbred corrupt pigs run it for centuries now we're paying the price.
Original post by ROTL94 3
We've let the same inbred corrupt pigs run it for centuries now we're paying the price.

Makes sense... It is either UK or China. The American dream was that in itself, a dream.

I would argue the UK is one of the few lights left in this Satanic world.
(edited 1 year ago)

Yes, and they keep showing up in my media feeds etc. Why do they buy up all the media.

Last thing I want to see is the face of one of the aforementioned.

LMFAO thats a significant but not all encompassing component of it, if the news is to be believed fully.
(edited 1 year ago)

Ngl it may well be the economic plan delivered by truss-seemed to be the final needle that made things, much, much worse.
Also the political scene hasn't been too pretty since Johnson left w/o actually leaving
(basically in August we had a ghost house of parliament).
Original post by orange one
Ngl it may well be the economic plan delivered by truss-seemed to be the final needle that made things, much, much worse.
Also the political scene hasn't been too pretty since Johnson left w/o actually leaving
(basically in August we had a ghost house of parliament).

Well Liz Truss was more of a joke than a serious candidate or prime minister. I believe British politics has devolved into trolling and theatrics more than action...feel free to correct me, the scene in the UK seems to be of a cult.
They are all related as cousins or through bloodlines.

I believe its a staged theater show, Im absolutely serious, they cannot be taken seriously at all.

How can the Politicians come up with any economic policy or actionable plan. They are barely able to string together 2 or 3 complex sentences. I believe they rambled on about cheese and meat production, as if they are willing or able to contribute towards any potential betterment of the mess.

I agree with the Sentiments of the previous poster, UK is one of the few remaining lights in this Satanic world...minus the above and piggery.

The solution is found in Christ and his teachings, and enforced Christian mind control.
(edited 1 year ago)
I would argue the UK is one of the few lights left in this Satanic world.

Oh well that's cheered me up.

For a moment there, I thought we were in trouble
Reply 12
A lot of other European countries are in exactly the same position but are good at manipulating the figures. EDF provides the UK with electricity which is heavily influencing inflation at the moment. Whilst price increases are capped in France (written into law)there is nothing to stop them passing on the prices in the UK and then saying how well they are managing the crisis in comparison to the poor British. Living in France but visiting the UK very regularly I can honestly say that the pinch is felt just as hard on the French side of the channel.
(edited 1 year ago)

One word, six letters. Begins with a 'B'.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One word, six letters. Begins with a 'B'.

BDSOTT
Yeah I've heard that there's a cost of living crisis there. I hope everyone is holding up ok in these troubling times :frown: Honestly tell me, how bad is it in different parts of the UK? Are they all equally affected, or do some places have it worse?
Original post by Euapp
A lot of other European countries are in exactly the same position but are good at manipulating the figures. EDF provides the UK with electricity which is heavily influencing inflation at the moment. Whilst price increases are capped in France (written into law)there is nothing to stop them passing on the prices in the UK and then saying how well they are managing the crisis in comparison to the poor British. Living in France but visiting the UK very regularly I can honestly say that the pinch is felt just as hard on the French side of the channel.

Entirely a self-inflicted thing by the UK, privatising core monopoly public services and then allowing foreign state operators to take them over, coupled with deliberately weak regulation. Anglo-Saxon capitalism at its finest! Poor us, the citizenry.
Reply 17
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Entirely a self-inflicted thing by the UK, privatising core monopoly public services and then allowing foreign state operators to take them over, coupled with deliberately weak regulation. Anglo-Saxon capitalism at its finest! Poor us, the citizenry.

Couldn’t agree more!
Original post by harrysbar
Oh well that's cheered me up.

For a moment there, I thought we were in trouble

:laugh:
I'm not sure what light they are seeing, maybe candlelight since that's all we will be able to afford soon?

Original post by sleep_supremacy
Yeah I've heard that there's a cost of living crisis there. I hope everyone is holding up ok in these troubling times :frown: Honestly tell me, how bad is it in different parts of the UK? Are they all equally affected, or do some places have it worse?

Nothing is ever equally affected in the UK. The north of England always has it worse because it was more deprived in the first place thanks to the Tories.

To put it into perspective there is a high street near me that was obliterated during a gas explosion many years ago. It has yet to be rebuilt, it's like walking through the wild west there. There's like 1 pub left standing and they wonder why youth crime is an issue round there.
I work in an even worse area which is incredibly deprived. I must pass about 10 dilapidated buildings each morning on that street alone.
Everyone is scratching around for jobs, there's hardly anything which is why the jobs that there are get away with paying so little.

So yes it's a mess, but what's even worse is we are all in the same storm but some of us have massive yachts to weather it and some people are in a wooden lifeboat.
Original post by CoolCavy
:laugh:
I'm not sure what light they are seeing, maybe candlelight since that's all we will be able to afford soon?

Nothing is ever equally affected in the UK. The north of England always has it worse because it was more deprived in the first place thanks to the Tories.

To put it into perspective there is a high street near me that was obliterated during a gas explosion many years ago. It has yet to be rebuilt, it's like walking through the wild west there. There's like 1 pub left standing and they wonder why youth crime is an issue round there.
I work in an even worse area which is incredibly deprived. I must pass about 10 dilapidated buildings each morning on that street alone.
Everyone is scratching around for jobs, there's hardly anything which is why the jobs that there are get away with paying so little.

So yes it's a mess, but what's even worse is we are all in the same storm but some of us have massive yachts to weather it and some people are in a wooden lifeboat.

It's gradually reaching into the South as well, lots of boarded up shops proliferating around London for example. Partly the collapse of retail generally, but also driven by the Tory Brexit economy, or rather, lack of it.

Quick Reply

Latest