Commitment Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Anon in case he uses this site!

I have a new boyfriend and he's very different from any guy I have ever met as he alludes to the future and us still being together despite having only been together a month... for example he joked the other day:
I need to work hard so i get a good job to buy you all the louis vuitton bags you'll want!

Does this just sound like a joke because most guys i know at 21 are way too scared to think about commitment and being together in the future after only dating a girl for 4 weeks...

Opinions guys?
amylase55
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
you could try saying something like that to him to see how he reacts? to see if he just laughs or says something serious
emilyjane_09
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds like a joke to me. Just relax and enjoy your relationship?
OiaB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by emilyjane_09)
Sounds like a joke to me. Just relax and enjoy your relationship?
i'd find it hard to relax and enjoy a relationship if i thought that my other half was looking far further on than me
caffe
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OiaB)
i'd find it hard to relax and enjoy a relationship if i thought that my other half was looking far further on than me

Exactly...

I didn't really know what to say so just laughed - it's such a nice sentiment but I have no idea where we'll be in a month let alone that far ahead. Even if he is joking it's not the kind of thing any of my previous boyfriends have ever dared to broach the subject of!
curlylocks88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by caffe)
Exactly...

I didn't really know what to say so just laughed - it's such a nice sentiment but I have no idea where we'll be in a month let alone that far ahead. Even if he is joking it's not the kind of thing any of my previous boyfriends have ever dared to broach the subject of!
Just enjoy it. It sounds like a joke to me.
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a joke, just shows he sees a future to the relationship (so shows how much he likes / loves you)
whitepearlbaby
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's the problem? Let him buy you things, that's what boyfriends are there for :P No but seriously... It's a good sign. It doesn't mean he wants to be with you forever but he sees a possibility.
thenewromance1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anon in case he uses this site!

I have a new boyfriend and he's very different from any guy I have ever met as he alludes to the future and us still being together despite having only been together a month... for example he joked the other day:
I need to work hard so i get a good job to buy you all the louis vuitton bags you'll want!

Does this just sound like a joke because most guys i know at 21 are way too scared to think about commitment and being together in the future after only dating a girl for 4 weeks...

Opinions guys?
That doesn't sound all that committmenty if you ask me. Just sounds like a joke. I once had an ex say to me after a month, when discussing my uni choices, when I mentioned manchester, america etc. he looked absolutely horrified and said 'but....what about us?'
I was totally freaking out in my head. Needless to say, I broke up with that idiot the next month. That was more with him being an annoying, clingy ass who wouldn't stop saying to my best friend 'I think jess is gonna break up with me!!!!' :shifty:
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A joke, most likely.
Take it as a joke.
Lampshade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it sounds like a joke, but don't assume that most 21 year old guys are scared of commitment.

i wouldn't want to be seeing someone if i didn't know that there was a future (and I wouldn't see someone who I knew had no aspirations of seeing me long term), so it's natural to add light comments about it here and there.

Mind you, I'm at the point in my life where I could quite happily get married and have kids if i had been the right person for long enough. Not often you hear guys in their early 20s say that...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads