Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is an amino acid unit? I thought that polypeptides were formed from 2 or more amino acids, however a resource I have here sais that peptides with more than about 50 amino acids are called polypeptides?

confused?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    2 amino acids form a dipeptide and any more than that is a polypeptide I think?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh thats just what ive put. Also, you know amino acids have a variable group, what does this variable group contain? My notes say that the variable group contains up to 20 different amino acids, but sureley that isnt right... an amino acid with a variable group containing more amino acids???

thanks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think the variable group can contain a wide range of elements since that is what gives the amino acids its unique struture and function. All amino acids have different variable groups.

ReputationRep:
    yeh I think thats right, different variable groups contain different residues. the order of this residue sequence produces a different amino acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mchammer)
    Yeh thats just what ive put. Also, you know amino acids have a variable group, what does this variable group contain? My notes say that the variable group contains up to 20 different amino acids, but sureley that isnt right... an amino acid with a variable group containing more amino acids???

thanks
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Two examples would be lysine (CH2CH2CH2CH2NH3) and glycine (just a CH2) on the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rd_amino_acids

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    The fundamental amino acid is composed of a NH2 and COOH group attached to a carbon. To this central carbon is attached a Hydrogen atom and a 'R' group, which can be composed of different elements =) this is what an amino acid is at its most basic

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 18, 2008

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.