The Student Room Group

Starting a different course after completing 1st year of another

Hi there,

I'm currently studying biomedical science (started Sept 2022). However, I am applying through UCAS to study a different course at the same university for September 2023.

I am unable to transfer onto this course from my current course, so I need to reapply through UCAS for the next academic year, starting from year 1 again. I do intend to complete the current year of the biomedical science course I am on, and then will just start the new course Sept 2023.

In terms of making this change on student finance, do I

A) Just reapply as normal.. (is there an option to specify the course I am reapplying for student finance for?) and say the course I am starting, where and what year I am starting from.

B) Let my university know at the end of the last term that I do not intend on returning to the course and that I am starting a new course and so they should inform student finance of my withdrawal so that I can apply for student finance as a new student?

In relation to option B, will student finance notify me that they have been told I've left the course? How will I know that student finance have been informed that I am no longer on that course so then I can apply as a new student with no complications?
Original post by steviejadev
Hi there,

I'm currently studying biomedical science (started Sept 2022). However, I am applying through UCAS to study a different course at the same university for September 2023.

I am unable to transfer onto this course from my current course, so I need to reapply through UCAS for the next academic year, starting from year 1 again. I do intend to complete the current year of the biomedical science course I am on, and then will just start the new course Sept 2023.

In terms of making this change on student finance, do I

A) Just reapply as normal.. (is there an option to specify the course I am reapplying for student finance for?) and say the course I am starting, where and what year I am starting from.

B) Let my university know at the end of the last term that I do not intend on returning to the course and that I am starting a new course and so they should inform student finance of my withdrawal so that I can apply for student finance as a new student?

In relation to option B, will student finance notify me that they have been told I've left the course? How will I know that student finance have been informed that I am no longer on that course so then I can apply as a new student with no complications?

Hi there,

It's not as complicated as you might think to change courses. As you'll be completing the first year of your current course, you don't necessarily need to withdraw. You can simply reapply for 23/24 online when applications open in the spring, you'll be asked to confirm all the course details and this can be changed at this stage to include your new details.

If you complete year 1 of your current course, without withdrawing, you can apply as a returning student. If you do decide to withdraw from the course, you'll simply reapply as a new student online.

Hope this helps,
Tina
Oh okay so either or, it doesn’t really make a difference?Thank you! This was so much clearer than what was told to me before haha!
Oh okay so either or, it doesn’t really make a difference?Thank you! This was so much clearer than what was told to me before haha!

Hi Stevie,

The main thing to think about, which can cause some issues if not done correctly, is working out the type of form to apply on. It's important to apply on the correct form type, for example PR1 for returning students, or PN1 for new students.

If you're not sure, or just want to check, you can contact our team in the spring when new applications open and an adviser can confirm the correct application type for you.

Thanks,
Tina
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Hi there,

It's not as complicated as you might think to change courses. As you'll be completing the first year of your current course, you don't necessarily need to withdraw. You can simply reapply for 23/24 online when applications open in the spring, you'll be asked to confirm all the course details and this can be changed at this stage to include your new details.

If you complete year 1 of your current course, without withdrawing, you can apply as a returning student. If you do decide to withdraw from the course, you'll simply reapply as a new student online.

Hope this helps,
Tina

Hey,

Just to clarify, I can see the first year of this course through to the end and then apply as a returning student and just change my course details to the details of the new course.

My new course is at the same university as the current course and I've got an offer for the new course, so when applying via student finance, will the university know automatically that I've applied and accepted the new offer or will I have to tell the current course that I won't be returning? Because if I tell the current course I won't be returning, they might withdraw me and then I'll have to start a new student finance application? Sorry, hope this makes sense!
Hey,

Just to clarify, I can see the first year of this course through to the end and then apply as a returning student and just change my course details to the details of the new course.

My new course is at the same university as the current course and I've got an offer for the new course, so when applying via student finance, will the university know automatically that I've applied and accepted the new offer or will I have to tell the current course that I won't be returning? Because if I tell the current course I won't be returning, they might withdraw me and then I'll have to start a new student finance application? Sorry, hope this makes sense!

Hi there,

Yes, that's right. Based on what you've said you'll be fine to apply as a returning student when the 23/24 applications open.

In most cases, if you complete the year the university won't classed you as having withdrawn, but it's definitely worth asking them directly just to be sure.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest