The Student Room Group

A levels required for Optometry

Hi can anyone help.Which A levels are compulsory in the Science subjects to do Optometry? Do I have to do Chemistry or can I do Physics Biology and Maths
Original post by Kaz2103
Hi can anyone help.Which A levels are compulsory in the Science subjects to do Optometry? Do I have to do Chemistry or can I do Physics Biology and Maths

There aren't that many Optometry degrees available in the UK. You can see the full list via this UCAS search. The general requirement is that you must have at least two subjects from Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry, so your proposed Physics, Biology and Mathematics will be fine.

1. Anglia Ruskin University - "Grades AAB at A level with grades AA to come from 2 Subjects from: Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry"
2. Aston University, Birmingham - "AAA in three A Levels including two science subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics" -or- "AAB in three A Levels including two science subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics"
3. University of Bradford - "AAB from 3 Full A Levels to include AA in two pure Science subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths)"
4. City, University of London - "'A' Level: AAB (including two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics)"
5. Glasgow Caledonian University - "AAB Must include 2 Sciences or 1 Science and Mathematics at A level"
6. University of Hertfordshire - "AAB - AAA At least two A-Levels at the higher grades from science subjects (i.e. Biology, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry). One of the science A-Levels must be from Biology or Mathematics."
7. University of Manchester - "We require grades AAA-AAB, which should include two science subjects (Biology, Maths, Physics or Chemistry)"
8. Ulster University - "AAB To include two science subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics"
9. Bristol, University of the West of England - "Two A levels (AB grade) must come from either Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Science or Psychology"
10. Cardiff University - "AAA - ABB Must include two subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics"
11. University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) - "Must include 2 science subjects out of physics, biology or human biology, chemistry, mathematics"
12. University of Huddersfield - "AAB which should include two of the following Science subjects, Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry"
13. University of Plymouth - "AAB - AAA Including 2 of the following subjects: Mathematics, Use of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Biology, Applied Science, Psychology"
14. Teesside University, Middlesbrough - "A levels ABB - two of the A levels must be in biology, chemistry, physics or math"

You will note that some don't subscribe to the "two subjects from Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry" approach. For example, University of Hertfordshire won't accept Chemistry, Physics and one other subject (as they say, "One of the science A-Levels must be from Biology or Mathematics").
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There aren't that many Optometry degrees available in the UK. You can see the full list via this UCAS search. The general requirement is that you must have at least two subjects from Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry, so your proposed Physics, Biology and Mathematics will be fine.

1. Anglia Ruskin University - "Grades AAB at A level with grades AA to come from 2 Subjects from: Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry"
2. Aston University, Birmingham - "AAA in three A Levels including two science subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics" -or- "AAB in three A Levels including two science subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics"
3. University of Bradford - "AAB from 3 Full A Levels to include AA in two pure Science subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths)"
4. City, University of London - "'A' Level: AAB (including two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics)"
5. Glasgow Caledonian University - "AAB Must include 2 Sciences or 1 Science and Mathematics at A level"
6. University of Hertfordshire - "AAB - AAA At least two A-Levels at the higher grades from science subjects (i.e. Biology, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry). One of the science A-Levels must be from Biology or Mathematics."
7. University of Manchester - "We require grades AAA-AAB, which should include two science subjects (Biology, Maths, Physics or Chemistry)"
8. Ulster University - "AAB To include two science subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics"
9. Bristol, University of the West of England - "Two A levels (AB grade) must come from either Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Science or Psychology"
10. Cardiff University - "AAA - ABB Must include two subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics"
11. University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) - "Must include 2 science subjects out of physics, biology or human biology, chemistry, mathematics"
12. University of Huddersfield - "AAB which should include two of the following Science subjects, Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry"
13. University of Plymouth - "AAB - AAA Including 2 of the following subjects: Mathematics, Use of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Biology, Applied Science, Psychology"
14. Teesside University, Middlesbrough - "A levels ABB - two of the A levels must be in biology, chemistry, physics or math"

You will note that some don't subscribe to the "two subjects from Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry" approach. For example, University of Hertfordshire won't accept Chemistry, Physics and one other subject (as they say, "One of the science A-Levels must be from Biology or Mathematics").

Thanks for thus.Im not sure why my careers teacher said most universities would prefer Chemistry over Physics and I'd much rather do Physics.

I don't know where she got this from because I'm sure I've read most universities want 3 subjects Math and any Science not specifically Chemistry!
Original post by Kaz2103
Thanks for thus.Im not sure why my careers teacher said most universities would prefer Chemistry over Physics and I'd much rather do Physics.

I don't know where she got this from because I'm sure I've read most universities want 3 subjects Math and any Science not specifically Chemistry!

Well, if you look at the data on TheUniGuide for Optometry, here, you'll see that the most popular A levels studied for entry to 12 of those 14 courses are Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics (in some order or another). The outliers are Teeside's Clinical Optometry course (Biology, Psychology and Mathematics) and the Highlands and Islands' Optometry course (where no data is available).

This does not mean that these are the A levels that universities prefer; it simply means that these are the subjects that students who joined these courses took. If more Optometry candidates take Chemistry that Physics, and the unis have no preference between the two, then it stands to reason that more successful candidates will have Chemistry than Physics. So it's correlation not (necessarily) causation.

This can happen when, for one reason or another, people get the impression that one subject is preferred - so more people take it. That naturally leads to more successful candidates having that particular A level. Which re-enforces the impression that it's preferred.

Quick Reply

Latest