The Student Room Group

typing in a level exams

i typed in my gcse exams for sciences and geography. i have very terrible writing problems because i am used to writing in other languages where i write top to bottom, so im not so used to writing sideways. i have tried before to use handwriting practice books but no matter what my writing is illegible. as of now in my end of term exams i am already typing in my science subjects but i only have a problem with math, especially statistics, because my teacher cannot mark my work since i am writing a lot.

i want to know is it possible to also type in a level maths?
Hiya,
I knew someone that used a laptop for a similar reason and typed all of his exams. In terms of maths, would it be possible to still use your laptop to type out your answers with verbal explanation, while also having a piece of paper with your working out on it? This might be a best of both worlds, as it's nearly impossible to type out mathematical calculations while also making your explanations legible. I can imagine this situation is bringing a fair amount of stress to you- I hope this gets resolved soon!

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Study Mind
Reply 2
i was in a similar situation -- typed in one stem subject (chem) and two humanities ones at alevel, but i choose not to type in maths.

you will need to get in discussion with your SEN person at your school -- typing is a possibility, however exam boards don't really like you doing it in maths, and you have to prove you reallllyyyy need it.

the only way boards let you type for maths, is if you type ONLY for word based responses, i.e. you can't type half a question and hand write/work out on paper the other half. this leads you to the dilemma: is typing in maths worth it?

I had your same problems with stats -- any 1 mark reasoning answer was illegible! but there are only 2/3 of these per paper, making up say 3 marks (which, at least for edexcel, is only 1% of the whole alevel), so being encumbered with a laptop on your desk might be more hassle than it is worth.

my advise (and what i did) was to just write my answers in block capitals -- it's faster than you think it will be, especially if you do lots of practise of these questions and get used to them, as most of these answers only require like 3 key words

tldr; it is possible, but in quite a limited way, and is probably more inconvenient than anything else

of course, discuss this with your SEN person -- good luck for your alevels :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by StudyMind
Hiya,
I knew someone that used a laptop for a similar reason and typed all of his exams. In terms of maths, would it be possible to still use your laptop to type out your answers with verbal explanation, while also having a piece of paper with your working out on it? This might be a best of both worlds, as it's nearly impossible to type out mathematical calculations while also making your explanations legible. I can imagine this situation is bringing a fair amount of stress to you- I hope this gets resolved soon!

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Study Mind

yes, that was what i was wondering as well because its what i did in my gcses for my sciences. id do calculations on paper and wordy questions id type them out. i hope that will be possiblel for maths as well because i just had a statistics test where the majority of it was writing, and i had a hard time writing nicely in it.. thank you very much
Reply 4
Original post by atd59
i was in a similar situation -- typed in one stem subject (chem) and two humanities ones at alevel, but i choose not to type in maths.

you will need to get in discussion with your SEN person at your school -- typing is a possibility, however exam boards don't really like you doing it in maths, and you have to prove you reallllyyyy need it.

the only way boards let you type for maths, is if you type ONLY for word based responses, i.e. you can't type half a question and hand write/work out on paper the other half. this leads you to the dilemma: is typing in maths worth it?

I had your same problems with stats -- any 1 mark reasoning answer was illegible! but there are only 2/3 of these per paper, making up say 3 marks (which, at least for edexcel, is only 1% of the whole alevel), so being encumbered with a laptop on your desk might be more hassle than it is worth.

my advise (and what i did) was to just write my answers in block capitals -- it's faster than you think it will be, especially if you do lots of practise of these questions and get used to them, as most of these answers only require like 3 key words

tldr; it is possible, but in quite a limited way, and is probably more inconvenient than anything else

of course, discuss this with your SEN person -- good luck for your alevels :smile:

thank you for your advice! i havent tried writing in block letters before but my brother has since he also has bad handwriting, so ill give it a go! in my gcses i was desperate to find a way to write quicker while being neat so i used both hands in my english exam and it was terrible... i think id benefit from typing out in statistics as its only letters that i have trouble writing nicely, numbers are mostly fine. thank you so much!
Reply 5
Original post by StudyMind
In terms of maths, would it be possible to still use your laptop to type out your answers with verbal explanation, while also having a piece of paper with your working out on it?

for my exam board (it may be different for yours, so do check), you couldn't do this for hybrid questions. you can obvs do it for answers that are solely typed, but ones that are say 3 marks, with 2 marks for maths and 1 mark for a verbal reasoning, you wouldn't be allowed to do it on both!

Original post by miwkwkpi
thank you for your advice! i havent tried writing in block letters before but my brother has since he also has bad handwriting, so ill give it a go! in my gcses i was desperate to find a way to write quicker while being neat so i used both hands in my english exam and it was terrible... i think id benefit from typing out in statistics as its only letters that i have trouble writing nicely, numbers are mostly fine. thank you so much!

it is for the reason above that i don't recommend a laptop, mostly because it clutters up your desk without you even getting that much use out of it and that was really distracting for me (bare in mind you will have your calculator, pen, pencil, ruler, and spares, as well as a formula book, and one or two exam papers all on your desk at once, and a laptop, mouse, and wires). obviously, you might find this totally fine, all about trial and error i suppose!

hope you find something that works for you! get in touch with your SEN + exam officers asap for more specific info!
Reply 6
Original post by atd59
for my exam board (it may be different for yours, so do check), you couldn't do this for hybrid questions. you can obvs do it for answers that are solely typed, but ones that are say 3 marks, with 2 marks for maths and 1 mark for a verbal reasoning, you wouldn't be allowed to do it on both!

it is for the reason above that i don't recommend a laptop, mostly because it clutters up your desk without you even getting that much use out of it and that was really distracting for me (bare in mind you will have your calculator, pen, pencil, ruler, and spares, as well as a formula book, and one or two exam papers all on your desk at once, and a laptop, mouse, and wires). obviously, you might find this totally fine, all about trial and error i suppose!

hope you find something that works for you! get in touch with your SEN + exam officers asap for more specific info!

i see, thank you for letting me know! may i ask what exam board did you do? i think my school is edexcel exam board.
Reply 7
Original post by miwkwkpi
i see, thank you for letting me know! may i ask what exam board did you do? i think my school is edexcel exam board.

i did edexcel too! but the 2022 alevels and rules ran a little bit differently last year, so its worth you (more likely your exam officer) double checking on this front :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by atd59
i did edexcel too! but the 2022 alevels and rules ran a little bit differently last year, so its worth you (more likely your exam officer) double checking on this front :smile:

great thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest