The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Mechanical engineering

I have been searching around for universities that provide mechanical engineering. But I'm curious how is mechanical engineering like in SHU? I haven't heard anything so far regarding mechanical engineering in SHU which worries me as well. Also worried not being able to get a proper job after graduating, does ranking of a university actually plays a part in employment? But I do consider applying to SHU, at the same time wanting to know more about you guys.
shu isn't high in the rankings but a 2.1+ in mech eng is still going to be fine for employment alongside good interviewing skills and the right motivation/application

university prestige and course are both relevant in graduate prospects, but just as they don't guarantee you a job, plenty of people without those two get good jobs on their own merits
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by meowmeow0406
I have been searching around for universities that provide mechanical engineering. But I'm curious how is mechanical engineering like in SHU? I haven't heard anything so far regarding mechanical engineering in SHU which worries me as well. Also worried not being able to get a proper job after graduating, does ranking of a university actually plays a part in employment? But I do consider applying to SHU, at the same time wanting to know more about you guys.

Hi @meowmeow0406!

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and fellow forum members with your query. It's a shame to hear that you haven’t heard about our mechanical engineering programme, hopefully, I can help answer your questions and any future queries that you may have.

Whilst rankings are a factor to consider when choosing where to study, there’s a whole host of other factors such as the university’s support offer, graduate prospects, location and student life to name but a few. Regarding course structure and overview, please see our course page here. Sadly, I didn’t study this course myself but I can provide you with some insight and additional information about our offer, graduate outcomes and where you’ll be studying. If you have any specific questions or queries, please let me know and I can look into these for you. Please also see my comments below regarding access to our virtual content.

At Sheffield Hallam, our engineering courses are accredited by their appropriate industry body, in your case our mechanical engineering programme is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), and the course also meets the exemplifying academic benchmark for registration as an Incorporated Engineer upon completion of your studies - this is because the learning and achievement of graduates meet the professional benchmarks and standards set by IMechE a testament to our course structure and teaching delivery.

You'll gain real-world experience at every level of study on the programme, from live projects to placement opportunities and competitions, with additional support from your dedicated academic and employability advisors based within your department. Many of our students have gone on to work with the likes of Airbus, BMW, IBM, JCB, Mercedes-Benz, Network Rail, Rolls-Royce and Siemens. Unsurprisingly, engineering graduates are highly sought-after by employers due to rapid growth and skill demands within the sector - that’s why 96% of our mechanical engineering graduates are in work or further study fifteen months after graduating (2019/20 Graduate Outcomes Survey).

Finally, you'll be based within our £11 million STEM Centre at City Campus, home to cutting-edge teaching space, laboratories and workshops. You’ll gain hands-on experience with industry-standard tools and equipment, from wind tunnels to rapid prototyping equipment and automotive workshops to structural integrity and robotics labs.

If you haven't already, you can visit us in Spring at one of our course open days, and from Friday you'll be able to get instant access to content from our recent virtual open day which includes a recording of our engineering webinar, facilities tour and additional content from our support services.

I hope my response has helped and that you take the time to access our virtual content in the coming days. Please let us know if you have any additional queries.

Take care and good luck with your application! :smile:
Luke - Official Sheffield Hallam Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending