Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I say parents, I actually mean my dad but he's the 'bread winner' or whatever you call it. Mums a housewife..
    He told me yesterday that he is gonna be bankrupt soon, he has loads of debt and will defo not be able to pay it all back. When we moved house we put the house under my mothers name so any creditors/bailiffs shouldnt be able to take our house from us. I'm just wondering can they take anything from (inside) my home, like my computer?

oh and anybody else got bankrupt parent/s? has it affected you as an individual?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    my dad went bankrupt 10 years ago, i was only young and i don't remember much but we moved alot of your stuff into our grandparents house so that they couldn't reposess it all.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware they cannot take things which do not belong to the person in debt and also, they cannot take things which you need to live.

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't happened to me yet, but it's certainly a possibility at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Did you buy your laptop? Baiscally things that are yours personally are pretty safe.

ReputationRep:
    My household went bankrupt when i was about 12...don't really remember anything happening that directly affected me. Think the main thing was a smaller Car, i don't think anything was taken away from us though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Noname)
    my dad went bankrupt 10 years ago, i was only young and i don't remember much but we moved alot of your stuff into our grandparents house so that they couldn't reposess it all.
    Ditto, except we didn't move all our stuff. My parents broke up shortly after when we lost the house, and my dad's only just been able to get a mortgage on a new one (just before the credit crunch, helped in no small part by his partner banging down half the money right off the bat).

It's pretty ****** but really, it's not like you're going to starve or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    When I say parents, I actually mean my dad but he's the 'bread winner' or whatever you call it. Mums a housewife..
    He told me yesterday that he is gonna be bankrupt soon, he has loads of debt and will defo not be able to pay it all back. When we moved house we put the house under my mothers name so any creditors/bailiffs shouldnt be able to take our house from us. I'm just wondering can they take anything from (inside) my home, like my computer?

oh and anybody else got bankrupt parent/s? has it affected you as an individual?
    if you dont let them in thrn bailiffs cant actually take anything... it's kind of like with vampires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    if you dont let them in thrn bailiffs cant actually take anything... it's kind of like with vampires.
    I was watching a program about bailiffs and apparently they can legally enter any open (possibly even unlocked) door in order to reach goods to be repossessed, so when you answer the door, they jam their foot in to stop you shutting it. Then they walk in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This happened to my folks last year - they lost the lot, house, car everything. My main concern at the time was that they might break-up. In actual fact they're even stronger now than they were before. 12 months on and things are starting to pickup for them. The most important thing to remember is that you support your parents in whatever way you can.

ReputationRep:

Did you buy your laptop? Baiscally things that are yours personally are pretty safe.
    (aw surprised you remembered I'm the guy buying a laptop)
    well anyway...I have bought the laptop online, its not been delivered yet but somebody told me that they cant take anything that belongs to me, and that I should keep hold of any receipts.

ReputationRep:
    I was watching a program about bailiffs and apparently they can legally enter any open (possibly even unlocked) door in order to reach goods to be repossessed, so when you answer the door, they jam their foot in to stop you shutting it. Then they walk in.
    yeah I've been researching, and lots of websites say all the windows and doors should be locked because if we leave them open or open the door for them then they can legally walk into my house and take sutff and that they can come in at later periods without any notice.
    grrrr... my mums a bit stupid though so I'm worried she will open the door to any randomer and sometimes even leave the door unlocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDuck)
    Yeah thats true ... only way knock em out!

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, except we didn't move all our stuff. My parents broke up shortly after when we lost the house, and my dad's only just been able to get a mortgage on a new one (just before the credit crunch, helped in no small part by his partner banging down half the money right off the bat).

It's pretty ****** but really, it's not like you're going to starve or anything.
    eeek, I hope my parents dont fall out. so when you lost your home and stuff, how did you cope? did they take your own possesions? like say your computer, mp3, did you need to prove it belonged to you?

ReputationRep:
    . I'm just wondering can they take anything from (inside) my home, like my computer?
    The government has produced a series of guides to bankruptcy. This is an excerpt from one of them:

You will no longer control your assets.

The following items must be disclosed to the official receiver, who will then decide whether you
    can keep them:

􀁺 tools, books, vehicles and other items of equipment which you need to use
    personally in your employment, business or vocation;

􀁺 clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and other basic items you and
    your family need in the home.

You can keep the above items unless their individual value is more than the cost of a reasonable
    replacement.

The official receiver/trustee will take control of all your other assets on the making of the
    bankruptcy order.
    The guides can be found here:http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanc...s/guides.htm#1

ReputationRep:
    also check out info from your local citizens advice - they'll have plenty of info on bailiffs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lees80)
    also check out info from your local citizens advice - they'll have plenty of info on bailiffs etc.
    It is about to become mandatory that Official Receivers verify via The Loancheck Foundation's website that an individual is indeed bankrupt.

This site allows anybody to check to see if they have been overcharged by banks and/or building societies.

Many potential bankrupts (and people about to be made homeless by having their houses re-possessed) have had proceedings against them stopped by The Loancheck Foundation

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you move anything thats yours and of value out of the house (eg to grandparents/friends house) just to be on the safe side?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.