The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I can't afford Imperial!

I got an unconditional offer from Imperial College London*for Electrical and Electronic Engineering (MEng) which is equivalent to a 3 year bachelor's degree + a 1 year masters degree. Luckily, I found a full scholarship for the Imperial masters degree but I couldn't find any for undergraduate. I am an International student and I can barely afford to pay £5,000 per year let alone £60,000

I like the university a lot but I don't know what to do. Is it hopeless for me? Should I just give up on trying to find a way to fund my education at Imperial? My country doesn't give any loans. Is imperial only for rich kids?
Review Imperials funding pages. You might need a gap year to put in a competitive application for an external scholarship.

Otherwise it might not be an option for you, undergrad scholarships are few and far between.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Admit-One
Review Imperials funding pages. You might need a gap year to put in a competitive application for an external scholarship.

Otherwise it might not be an option for you, undergrad scholarships are few and far between.

I am already on a gap year. I can't find any external scholarships. Do u know any?
Original post by Anonymous
I got an unconditional offer from Imperial College London*for Electrical and Electronic Engineering (MEng) which is equivalent to a 3 year bachelor's degree + a 1 year masters degree. Luckily, I found a full scholarship for the Imperial masters degree but I couldn't find any for undergraduate. I am an International student and I can barely afford to pay £5,000 per year let alone £60,000

I like the university a lot but I don't know what to do. Is it hopeless for me? Should I just give up on trying to find a way to fund my education at Imperial? My country doesn't give any loans. Is imperial only for rich kids?

Note that the MEng is integrated into the undergraduate course. It's not a separate masters degree, it would eligible for undergraduate funding only.
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that the MEng is integrated into the undergraduate course. It's not a separate masters degree, it would eligible for undergraduate funding only.

Hmm but they still said on their Website that by the end of my second year I can decide whether or not I want to go for MEng or BEng.

What is your home country?
Hmm but they still said on their Website that by the end of my second year I can decide whether or not I want to go for MEng or BEng.

Yes but the MEng is still considered an undergraduate degree. It's not a separate postgraduate course. It's integrated as a whole - you don't get "BEng and MEng", you just get an MEng.
Original post by Trinculo
What is your home country?

Iraq
I am already on a gap year. I can't find any external scholarships. Do u know any?

Chevening?

Not really my area of expertise I’m afraid. Try looking at a few uni websites, they may list external funding opportunities.

If you were entirely reliant on being fully funded, you should really have looked into this early before many of the relevant deadlines had passed.
Original post by Admit-One
Chevening?

Not really my area of expertise I’m afraid. Try looking at a few uni websites, they may list external funding opportunities.

If you were entirely reliant on being fully funded, you should really have looked into this early before many of the relevant deadlines had passed.

Chevening ia for Masters only. I looked at everything I've been searching since last year. I'm just posting now just to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes but the MEng is still considered an undergraduate degree. It's not a separate postgraduate course. It's integrated as a whole - you don't get "BEng and MEng", you just get an MEng.

So? I can still switch it to BEng.
Chevening ia for Masters only. I looked at everything I've been searching since last year. I'm just posting now just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

In all honesty it sounds like you’ve exhausted all your options then.
So? I can still switch it to BEng.

They are both undergraduate degrees in the UK...
😂😂 yeah it sucks that education is all about money nowadays. You'll just have to reject their offer ig.
(edited 1 year ago)
It is best for international students to only make applications for undergrad study at unis & other degree awarding institutions within the uk or usa when they have confirmed that they do have guaranteed access to sufficient funding to cover all the total costs for the full duration of the course.
Accomodation costs, tuition fees, student visa charges, travel expenses and other living expenses while studying.

Most international students finance their studies with financial assistance from relatives, employer sponsorship, personal savings, inheritances or bank loans.
There are very few guaranteed international scholarships that include full accomodation and living expenses as well as tuition fees.

Quick Reply