Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study history at uni and I think that I am going to put Leicester as my firm choice and Birmingham as my insurance choice. I am worried if I put Birmingham as my insurance choice I won't get accomodation if I have to go there.
    Do you know of anyone that went to Birmingham and got offered accomodation?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Birmingham was my insurance choice, but I got put on the Vale! Maple Bank infact. Totally didn't expect a place on the Vale, thought I'd be put somewhere far out like the Beeches. Make sure you apply for Birmingham accommodation before the deadline in March or whenever it is, even if you choose not to put it as your firm choice. That bit is REALLY important.
    Oh and seriously, Birmingham is sooooooooooo better than Leicester, come to Brum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flamin Nora)
    Yeah, Birmingham was my insurance choice, but I got put on the Vale! Maple Bank infact. Totally didn't expect a place on the Vale, thought I'd be put somewhere far out like the Beeches. Make sure you apply for Birmingham accommodation before the deadline in March or whenever it is, even if you choose not to put it as your firm choice. That bit is REALLY important.
    Oh and seriously, Birmingham is sooooooooooo better than Leicester, come to Brum!
    ah so you apply for accomodation at both insurance and firm?!! I didn't realise that!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you've made me feel alot better about it!
    I did like Birmingham (the campus) but I didn't see the city what are the good points/bad points?

ReputationRep:
    thought I'd be put somewhere far out like the Beeches.
    Eh eh ehhhhh, shush The Beeches is lovely, not far off, closer to the city centre and just generally better :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    ah so you apply for accomodation at both insurance and firm?!! I didn't realise that!
    x
    Yes definitely! If you don't and you end up at your insurance, you'll be really screwed. My friend didn't apply for accommodation at Bham (his insurance) and got put in a hotel for the first four weeks, then was put in a student house with four international students, who couldn't speak a word of english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceb07)
    Thanks you've made me feel alot better about it!
    I did like Birmingham (the campus) but I didn't see the city what are the good points/bad points?
    No problemo
    Erm well I'm obviously biased lol, you go study where you want to go.
    However, good points:
    Amazing nightlife
    Bloody huge shopping centre
    Very nice student community/atmosphere in Selly Oak
    Great facilities on the main student village, and only a 15/20 min walk from campus.
    Amazing diversity in the city centre.
    Cadburys World
    University's own train station
    Looooooads of history/historical buildings in the city centre.
    Massive university library, plus a huge one in the city.

Bad Points:
    Public transport from halls to university is infrequent.
    The closest supermarket is about 25 mins walk away, which isnt much, but is a pain when you're carrying bags.
    Catered food isn't exactly great, and you don't get food at the weekend.
    Hall costs are pretty expensive, especially if you live in Mason Hall.

Hope that helps Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, thanks for that. shall remember to do that.

Sounds like bham is good, going for applicants day next wednesday and i cant wait! Glad theres more positive than negative points! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceb07)
    I want to study history at uni and I think that I am going to put Leicester as my firm choice and Birmingham as my insurance choice. I am worried if I put Birmingham as my insurance choice I won't get accomodation if I have to go there.
    Do you know of anyone that went to Birmingham and got offered accomodation?
    Thanks
    My friend had Birmingham as her insurance and still got accommodation, i unfortunately didn't.
    She applied for accommodation for Birmingham even though it was her second choice. You'll get an email about it. Just send off your application wellll before the deadline and you'll stand a better chance of getting some.
    If you don't get any, it's not the end of the world. There's loads of private halls and they're just as good. Try Queens Hall Close first over IQ5 though anyday!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 20, 2008
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.