The Student Room Group

Advice for getting over crushes

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind writing how you get over crushes
I get crushes on people quite easily (honestly if someone just acts nicely to me even once I fall hard) but I've never dated, nor do I want to date at the moment so I don't rlly want to act on these crushes
But I hate the feeling of always being aware of where they are with relation to me, false hopes and scenarios that my brain makes up about them liking me back etc since I know they're unrealistic and I just want to be able to relax around people instead of fixating on what I'm doing and whether I seem fun/attractive etc

When I get crushes they tend to take a while to decrease but never really go away, like I'll see people I had a crush on years ago and i still feel some kinda way towards them and I just wish I could get over them but I can't.

Sorry for the long rant, any advice is greatly appreciated!!
lol i'm the same i get sooo many crushes
if it's rly bad then i just pretend they secretly hate me and everything i stand for and they're only pretending to tolerate me
works every time
and a great way to make u hate urself
Reply 2
It's your choice if you don't want to date. But crushes are your body's way of going for those; even with multiple rejections, it only takes one to have some lovely experiences. So I do recommend acting on them and asking them out; even if it doesn't result in full-blown romance, you could make some really good friends.

But if you really don't want to, it is possible to suppress these crushes. You don't have to go as far as Anon #2 where it's outright negative. As they warned, you don't want to hate yourself - so pretend that they won't be with you not because they hate you, but because they like someone else.

See if they act flirty with others, or otherwise seem like they like someone else. Then induce that spiral where you're like "oh, they like that person; they'll never like me, so I shouldn't bother with them". Since you make up "false hopes and scenarios" of them liking you back, flip that so that it's about them liking others.

…Or you could actually act on your crushes. Our short lives are much better that way, when we make some good memories with other people.
Original post by sasno
It's your choice if you don't want to date. But crushes are your body's way of going for those; even with multiple rejections, it only takes one to have some lovely experiences. So I do recommend acting on them and asking them out; even if it doesn't result in full-blown romance, you could make some really good friends.

But if you really don't want to, it is possible to suppress these crushes. You don't have to go as far as Anon #2 where it's outright negative. As they warned, you don't want to hate yourself - so pretend that they won't be with you not because they hate you, but because they like someone else.

See if they act flirty with others, or otherwise seem like they like someone else. Then induce that spiral where you're like "oh, they like that person; they'll never like me, so I shouldn't bother with them". Since you make up "false hopes and scenarios" of them liking you back, flip that so that it's about them liking others.

…Or you could actually act on your crushes. Our short lives are much better that way, when we make some good memories with other people.

That's some great advice, thanks!! Thing is I'm pretty sure some of them are in relationships anyway and Ik that we aren't even the right fit for each other
It's like my head is like bruhh why you have a crush on them it doesn't help you or anyone else
But my heart is like naa imma just flutter everytime I see them
Reply 4
You're welcome. Obviously don't go for the ones in relationships. But for the single ones, how do you know you aren't the right fit for each other if you haven't been on one-on-one dates with them? You'll never know with anyone, unless you do.

Maybe pick the best one you think you vibe with the most, and ask them out. Again you don't have to, but it might be good to give in to your feelings just once, to see what happens. Either way, good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind writing how you get over crushes
I get crushes on people quite easily (honestly if someone just acts nicely to me even once I fall hard) but I've never dated, nor do I want to date at the moment so I don't rlly want to act on these crushes
But I hate the feeling of always being aware of where they are with relation to me, false hopes and scenarios that my brain makes up about them liking me back etc since I know they're unrealistic and I just want to be able to relax around people instead of fixating on what I'm doing and whether I seem fun/attractive etc

When I get crushes they tend to take a while to decrease but never really go away, like I'll see people I had a crush on years ago and i still feel some kinda way towards them and I just wish I could get over them but I can't.

Sorry for the long rant, any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Dude i am the same... I

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending