Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That was an irony but if you need the answer : In the same way that voting no in this poll make us anti-semitic.

ReputationRep:
    its all very good bringing in the subtle difference between "understanding and supporting"

but the poll asks a question to which many are replying "no they arent terrorists". thats just idiotic. if hamas arent terrorists then no one is. just about every sane person, government and even the humble dictionary will tell you otherwise.

this thread has bored me. cheerio!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    god no.
    Why on earth are you saying its an antonym. It doesn't even support your damn useless argument.

Last time you started going on about how the word anti semitic came before the word semitic. Well I don't know you how you get the opposite of something without having the previous word there in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    its all very good bringing in the subtle difference between "understanding and supporting"

but the poll asks a question to which many are replying "no they arent terrorists". thats just idiotic. if hamas arent terrorists then no one is.
    Some of us havent repliec. :rolleyes:

Maybe they are annoyed at the simplistic anaylsis of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    if hamas arent terrorists then no one is.
    Exactly the opposite is my vote, if Israel's government isn't terrorist then no one is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    No its a suggestion that so many things in life are perfect. As Vienna has already admitted

"Everything has ultimately some flaws and some positives in the eyes of someone."

So she admits its a subjective decision. Well that is wrong. Quite clealry killing civilans whoever they are is wrong.
    Hang on, the decision is whether Hamas is a terrorist group, not the morality of killing a civilian.

Her poll asks a specific questions which is of a good and bad nature and yet only offers the judgement that the group is bad or good.
    Where are you deriving good and bad from?

Is Hamas a terrorist group in your opinion, yes or no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowkin)
    Why on earth are you saying its an antonym.
    I told you that they werent antonyms.

ReputationRep:
    I told you that they werent antonyms.
    yeah that's what i meant. sorry.
    there's no point discussing this. It's already been done and there was no conclusion of any kind.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they are annoyed at the simplistic anaylsis of the situation.
    I really dont see what more you can ask for on a poll. I dont believe that, unlike Eternal Idol, there is any implication made toward an opinion of the IDF.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna can you please reply to my post a while back it'd be good to see your views, unless you purposely bypassed it, but I doubt you did because you're always up for a good fight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowkin)
    yeah that's what i meant. sorry.
    there's no point discussing this. It's already been done and there was no conclusion of any kind.
    There was, I presented the facts, there wasnt really any opposition to those facts. If you dont see the point in discussing the facts, dont start posting comments relating to me and some sort of game you believe we are playing, not least when those comments are void of any basis in reality.

ReputationRep:
    let it.

i'd rather have an israeli state that contributes more on its own than the whole arab world rather than a palestine that wouldnt be able to manage more than "we hate the american"
    Right…so I guess you have forgotten the fact that it was arabs (muslims) who were founders of medicine amongst other things? Right…stop being so narrow minded and grow up, just because you lick Israelis back side don’t mean you have to make a crap statement like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, the decision is whether Hamas is a terrorist group, not the morality of killing a civilian.
    How mentioned children, you bringing irrelevant things into this discussion. You have posted a poll with two options. One is clearly bad the other clearly good. Now I do not think Hamas can be defined like that. (This also rests on my last point which I thought you should of addressed by now). You called my view disgusting for suggesting Hamas have both a good and bad side associated with it. You have yet to justify this judgement. It is not like you to be trying to white wash people now is it?
    Where are you deriving good and bad from?
    I am deriving it from Kant's categorical imperative. So Vienna are you disagreeing either of these, yes or no will suffice and any reason why you might disagree.
    Killing innocent people is surely always bad?
    Saving people's lives are is surely always good?
    Is Hamas a terrorist group in your opinion, yes or no?
    Well how are you defining terrorist? You have offered not definition, something which I would of thougth would of been key to defining your poll.

ReputationRep:
    I really dont see what more you can ask for on a poll. I dont believe that, unlike Eternal Idol, there is any implication made toward an opinion of the IDF.
    You've missed the point. The poll is one dimensional and my point has nothing to do with IDF.

ReputationRep:
    There was, I presented the facts, there wasnt really any opposition to those facts. If you dont see the point in discussing the facts, dont start posting comments relating to me and some sort of game you believe we are playing, not least when those comments are void of any basis in reality.
    yes, nothing brings you off your high horse does it?
    Your facts as I have mentioned were in some places ridiculous.
    'game' what are you talking about? Wait, I don't want to know.

ReputationRep:
    Also while we are on the subject of the poll putting yes and no in front of the options taints the voters. I believe in Psychology that yes is normally associated with good things like yes you can have a lolly, where as no is normally associated with bad things as you can see in this example, "no you cant have a lolly as you've been a bad girl for not putting an in between option in your poll!"

ReputationRep:
    Also while we are on the subject of the poll putting yes and no in front of the options taints the voters. I believe in Psychology that yes is normally associated with good things like yes you can have a lolly, where as no is normally associated with bad things as you can see in this example, "no you cant have a lolly as you've been a bad girl for not putting an in between option in your poll!"
    so...

"hamas is not a terrorist group, do you agree" yes or no...would have been much more appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saagar)
    Israel is founded on and around land that is primarily populated by Muslims/Arabs.
    Jewish settlers were the majority on the land that is now Israel and Gaza. They moved and bought land from the Arabs and turned it into a prosperous region. The Arabs welcomed the Jewish contribution and didnt even view themselves as being Palestinian, a term that they claim was invented by the Israelis.

Surely then, Britain and the UN had no right to attempt to make the area a "Jewish homeland", it was not there land. To defend its right to exist should not have happened in the first place when Jews and Arabs could have peacefully co-existed in Palestine.
    The British and the UN proposed two states, that were consistent with the demographics and historical ties of the region. The Arabs refused that opportunity. As much as we can discuss blame, it doesnt excuse or invalidate the current situation, where the Jewish people are threatened with ethnic cleansing.

Why do Palestinians need a recognised state. Religion should not be a factor in who owns land. I start up my own way of life, religion etc, do I merit my own recognised state?
    They have demonstrated their claim and wish to have an independent state.

ReputationRep:
    so...

"hamas is not a terrorist group, do you agree" yes or no...would have been much more appropriate?
    That was a quick cheerio.

ReputationRep:
    so...

are you going to define terrorist?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.